From: DNK on
I installed the update (os x 10.6.4) as it was released, and no go. I still have the same issue. I have been still fighting with this issue.

On 2010-06-15, at 4:26 AM, William P.N. Smith wrote:

> It's difficult to parse, but it _seems_ like the 10.6.4 update to OSX will incorporate some SMB changes (fixes?), so maybe it's an OSX problem, and might be Fixed In The Next Release.
>
> I don't really care for beta software, but I kinda wish I could get this one!
>

> On 6/15/10 12:18 AM, Dnk wrote:
>> That is also essentially what I am experiencing.
>>

>> Regards,

>> On 2010-06-14, at 6:10 PM, "William P.N. Smith"
>> <w_smith(a)compusmiths.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a problem that I'm not sure is related. OSX 10.6.3, Centos
>>> 5.5, Samba Version 3.0.33-3.28.el5
>>>
>>> Sometimes when I try to browse to a directory it just stalls out with
>>> the spinning gear. Not always the top level or a consistent depth, and
>>> it doesn't seem to matter if there are a dozen files or thousands in
>>> the directory. Sometimes if I walk away for an hour or so it'll still
>>> be spinning when I get back, sometimes it'll finally be showing my
>>> directory listing.
>>>
>>> I've just discovered(?) that quitting the Finder and restarting it
>>> solved the problem in at least one instance, so try that and report
>>> back...
>>>
>>> [I'm running iptables, and can't disable it, FWIW.]

Seems to be better for me, but that doesn't mean:

1) I've got the same problem as DNK

2) I haven't seen it show up yet.

I dunno if there's any debugging you can turn on without using something
like wireshark to trap all your traffic and parse it from there.

I've got directories with tens of thousands of files in them, so I can't
always tell if it's slow because it's iterating thru all the files or
because there's something strange going on...

Willie

On 6/18/10 10:38 AM, DNK wrote:
> I installed the update (os x 10.6.4) as it was released, and no go. I still have the same issue. I have been still fighting with this issue.

> On 2010-06-15, at 4:26 AM, William P.N. Smith wrote:
>
>> It's difficult to parse, but it _seems_ like the 10.6.4 update to OSX will incorporate some SMB changes (fixes?), so maybe it's an OSX problem, and might be Fixed In The Next Release.
>>
>> I don't really care for beta software, but I kinda wish I could get this one!
>>

>> On 6/15/10 12:18 AM, Dnk wrote:
>>> That is also essentially what I am experiencing.
>>>

>>> Regards,

I still in fact have the original issue where it just beach balls, and I have to relaunch the finder each time I want to go into a subdirectory.

On 2010-06-18, at 7:54 AM, William P.N. Smith wrote:

> Seems to be better for me, but that doesn't mean:
>
> 1) I've got the same problem as DNK
>
> 2) I haven't seen it show up yet.
>
> I dunno if there's any debugging you can turn on without using something like wireshark to trap all your traffic and parse it from there.
>
> I've got directories with tens of thousands of files in them, so I can't always tell if it's slow because it's iterating thru all the files or because there's something strange going on...
>
> Willie
>

> On 6/18/10 10:38 AM, DNK wrote:
>> I installed the update (os x 10.6.4) as it was released, and no go. I still have the same issue. I have been still fighting with this issue.

>> On 2010-06-15, at 4:26 AM, William P.N. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> It's difficult to parse, but it _seems_ like the 10.6.4 update to OSX will incorporate some SMB changes (fixes?), so maybe it's an OSX problem, and might be Fixed In The Next Release.
>>>
>>> I don't really care for beta software, but I kinda wish I could get this one!

I solved it! (For me). Pulled from here.

http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#050310a

The veto files line for my share in /etc/samba/smb.conf includes the file .DS_Store. For Mac clients accessing the share using SMB instead of AFP, the .DS_Store file needs to be accessible and writable, otherwise the Finder will hang trying to create it. Hope this helps!

I commented out the following line in my smb.conf:

#veto files = /.DS_Store/._.*/DesktopFolderDB/Network Trash Folder/resource.frk/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/

And now it works. The above line used to not be an issue, but is now!

Either way, solved for me.

On 06/18/2010 11:35 AM, DNK wrote:
> I solved it! (For me). Pulled from here.
>
> http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#050310a
>

> The veto files line for my share in /etc/samba/smb.conf includes the file .DS_Store. For Mac clients accessing the share using SMB instead of AFP, the .DS_Store file needs to be accessible and writable, otherwise the Finder will hang trying to create it. Hope this helps!
>
> I commented out the following line in my smb.conf:
>
> #veto files = /.DS_Store/._.*/DesktopFolderDB/Network Trash Folder/resource.frk/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/

You might also want to consider telling OS X to NOT create .DS_Store
files on network volumes in the first place. .DS_Store files store
information about how you want things to display in Finder when you are
looking at that directory -- icons versus text, icon size, colored
highlighting on files and folders, etc.

Unless there is some specific reason why you WANT that functionality, it
is best to configure OS X to not create .DS_Store files on network
volumes. Allowing OS X to create these files can lead to all sorts of
problems if multiple users need to access a particular Samba share. One
OS X computer will tend to try to "own" the .DS_Store file, causing
other workstations to give you the beach ball or other kernel panics
when they cannot modify the same file.

To disable .DS_Store file creation:

* open Terminal in OS X (from /Applications/Utilities)
* run the following command, all on one line:

$ defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores
true

You may have to run it as sudo, i.e.,

$ sudo defaults write com.apple.desktopservices
DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

-- Andy Liebman