From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Skye" <Skye(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks sooooooooooooooooo much for your time and effort in helping me sort
> the problem. With your info and the help of a pal next door, between us we
> have managed to get the userinit back into the registry somehow and now I
> am
> up and running again. Ran Spysweeper and Malwarebytes which found numerous
> virus', trojans and other errors which have now been rectified and all
> seems
> ok except for the System Restore, it no longer works. As soon as I access
> it
> a message appears saying I must restart my computer after which the same
> message appears again. Any ideas on this one?

Mhm, yes, at the danger of repeating myself: Machines that are/were infected
are compromised and should be reloaded. You will need to decide if it worth
the trouble spending a lot of time in an attempt at cleaning the machine and
probably ending up with an unstable machine, in particular since your virus
infestation was severe. A re-installation would give you a result of
guaranteed
quality within a few hours. Remember also that virus scanners are good at
*preventing* virus attackes but in many cases they cannot possibly repair
the damage done by viruses. When you write "which have now been rectified"
then you're probably kidding yourself.

You also need to ask yourself how your machine got so badly infected. Do
you have a good virus scanner? Is it up-to-date? Do you practise safe hex?

From: Skye on
You're right, things just ain't the same but for the time being it's a good
compromise as no doubt I'll eventually end up doing a clean install. My virus
scanner is updated at least once a day, probably more but there was an
occasion when the firewall went missing so maybe things got in during that
period, first time this has ever happened in 10 years so not a bad record eh?
I would like to point out that it would be much more helpful though if you
concentrated on helping solve the problem rather than harping on about what
one should have done/be doing, it's too negative for me.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

> You're right, things just ain't the same but for the time being it's a
> good
> compromise as no doubt I'll eventually end up doing a clean install. My
> virus
> scanner is updated at least once a day, probably more but there was an
> occasion when the firewall went missing so maybe things got in during that
> period, first time this has ever happened in 10 years so not a bad record
> eh?
> I would like to point out that it would be much more helpful though if you
> concentrated on helping solve the problem rather than harping on about
> what
> one should have done/be doing, it's too negative for me.

In my first response I listed the options that were available to you to
resolve the userinit.exe problem. I was quite prepared to step you through
the process, as I have done in the past with other posters, in spite of this
being quite difficult and time consuming for a novice. Fortunately you
managed to get the job done with the assistance of your neighbour.

If you use a dial-up modem then it is likely that your machine got infected
while the firewall was down. If you use an ADSL or a cable modem to connect
to the Internet then you need to look elsewhere for the cause of this
incident. ADSL and cable modems form a hardware firewall that protects your
PC very effectively against intruders.

While I understand that you prefer positive words from respondents, keeping
you in blissful ignorance would be irresponsible. I try to keep my responses
factual, and if the facts are not good then I say so. Using encouraging
words won't fix your PC but making the right decisions will.

From: Daave on
The most important thing to do before you do anything else is to make
sure all your data is backed up. Perhaps your neighbor can help you do
this. If you need guidance, post back.

I happen to agree with Pegasus that the most prudent course for you is a
Clean Install. Otherwise, you are just taking unnecessary chances.

That being said, as a learning opportunity, have a look at this page:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

The probabble cause of your inability to run System Restore is the
malware changed key settings, causing this situation. Then again, there
can be other causes, and they can be found in the Web page referenced
above.

From: Jose on
On Nov 26, 5:06 pm, Skye <S...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > do that either.
>
> > Is your machine on some network so you can access it from some other
> > machine?  Probably not for the typical home user.  You could "try" to
> > get your computer on some network - then what?
>
> > You can take your HDD out and put it in another machine and scan it
> > there, but why?  That is a complicated process if you are not handy
> > moving around computer hardware.  Plus, that will not replace the
> > userinit.exe.  If you got it moved, what would you do next?  Try some
> > more things?
>
> > There is too much trying.  You need to be doing.
>
> > Get your RC disk made and booting, then we can do some things.
>
> > While you are waiting, see if you can find a genuine bootable XP
> > installation CD (not a manufacturers recovery CD) and make yourself a
> > copy and put it with you new bootable RC disc.

You have to think like malicious software - which is really more
annoying that anything else.

It will do what it finds fun to keep you from removing it - like keep
you from logging it, keep you from loogin in in safe mode, keep
popular malware scanners from running (MBAM & SAS), keep you from
running regedit, and of course keep you from running System Restore.
The world is lucky malicious software is not as malicious as it could
be - it is merely an annoyance.

Your login issue is well known and easy to fix from Recovery Console
which is why I wanted you to make a RC CD in the first place, and
don't know if you did or not.

It is not difficult and time consuming and my copy/paste directions
from having fixed this so many times would have had you running in
minutes - after you got the RC going.

Then you could run some good scans and clean up the leftovers and
anything else. We don't know how you fixed that issue either and
maybe you fixed it "right" or had some good luck, but it doesn't
matter now.

After fixing the userinit issue, you would not want to do a SR anyway
because your RPs are probably compromised as well, so you would just
reinfect your machine. Do you know if SR has ever worked in the first
place or is this the first time you have tried to use it? SR is
certainly not a time machine.

SR is often the fist thing people try to do and of course it doesn't
work after an attack. It is broken and it is broken because the
malicious software broke it on purpose. Malicious software breaks
things that can be used to detect and remove it. Removal programs
sometimes don't fix everything.

One you get your machine cleaned up, you should whack all your old RPs
and make a new one. Trying to "fix" a broken SR is generally easy,
but the best advice is to not count on or try to use any of your old
RPs.

Reinstalling XP is an option, but to me it is an admission of defeat,
losing and giving up. I have never reinstalled XP or needed to -
ever.

Your SR problem is also well known and likely quite fixable, but the
solution will cost you your all of your old (and probably worthless)
RPs - why would you want to use them anyway? I certainly would not
trust any of them. You would also have to answer a few more
questions, and might (but probably not) have to come up with a copy of
an XP installation CD that matches your configuration.

It is not in my nature to guess at what might could be or have been or
suggest things to try that might work. People need specifics to solve
these issues, not vague guesses about what it might be.

You did not mention SAS but you should run it too.

Perform some scans for malicious software first, then fix any
remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Then let us know if you want to fix your SR or do you want to
reinstall.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: kernrate and cpu