From: Skye on
After a trojan was cleaned on my PC running XP Home I can no longer get back
into the operating system. I can't get past the logon screen using either
Administrator or User, nothing happens it just says logging on then
immediately logs off and I can't get into safe mode either. I remember seeing
that the trojan was in Windows User Logon Hotkey Registry, not necessarily in
that order though. Any advice guys?
Thanks, Skye.

From: Elmo on
Skye wrote:
> After a Trojan was cleaned on my PC running XP Home I can no longer get back
> into the operating system. I can't get past the logon screen using either
> Administrator or User, nothing happens it just says logging on then
> immediately logs off and I can't get into safe mode either. I remember seeing
> that the Trojan was in Windows User Logon Hotkey Registry, not necessarily in
> that order though. Any advice guys?
> Thanks, Skye.

Here are a few things to try:

- The registry might've been damaged. Press F5 repeatedly during the
Reboot, and select "Last Known Good Configuration".

- Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is
available.. it prompts you to insert a CD and burns the file, no problem.

- Try a Repair Install of XP.

Joe =o)
From: Skye on
Thanks for info. Last known good config doesn't work either and I don't know
how to check the infected PC if I can't get into the o/s. PC's here don't
come with an installation CD so I can't do a repair. Hmmmmm!!!
Skye
From: Jose on
On Nov 25, 12:12 pm, Skye <S...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks for info. Last known good config doesn't work either and I don't know
> how to check the infected PC if I can't get into the o/s. PC's here don't
> come with an installation CD so I can't do a repair. Hmmmmm!!!
> Skye

What program(s) did you use to remove the trojan?

Unless you want to try a lot of things, the most efficient way to
troubleshoot and resolve your issue is to come up with (beg, borrow,
copy) a genuine bootable XP installation CD.

Failing that, create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD - which you can
do with no XP media.

Then troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Skye" <Skye(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a trojan was cleaned on my PC running XP Home I can no longer get
> back
> into the operating system. I can't get past the logon screen using either
> Administrator or User, nothing happens it just says logging on then
> immediately logs off and I can't get into safe mode either. I remember
> seeing
> that the trojan was in Windows User Logon Hotkey Registry, not necessarily
> in
> that order though. Any advice guys?
> Thanks, Skye.
> --

There appear to be two issues here:
a) The virus infection.
b) The logon/logoff loop.

About a): In my opinion, machines that are infected are compromised and
should be reloaded. You will need to decide if it worth the trouble spending
a lot of time in an attempt at cleaning the machine and perhaps ending up
with an unstable machine. A re-installation would give you a result of
guaranteed quality within a few hours.

About b): This looping behaviour is usually caused by an inability of
Windows to locate the file userinit.exe. The cure depends on your setup:
- It is easy if the machine is networked with an other machine and if you
know the Administrator's password.
- It is less easy if you can connect its hard disk as a slave disk (or as a
USB disk) to some other machine.
- It is quite hard if none of the above apply.
"Hard" means that the process is quite complex, possibly difficult to
understand if you're a novice and very time consuming.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: kernrate and cpu
Next: Serscan.sys