From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 21:01:43 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>On 27/05/10 8:34 PM, rfdjr1(a)optonline.net wrote:
>> I recently bought an Olympus SP800UZ. Tonight I was trying to take some flash
>> pictures, inside, of a new guitar. Shots were taken from four to six feet away.
>> Not one of about a half dozen shots were as clear as I would expect from the
>> camera. As I said, I used flash, I have the AF illumination turned on as well as
>> image stabilization. I was using the camera hand held, as my tripod was down in
>> my car. What else, short of a tripod, could I have done to try and get a sharp
>> image?
>
>Unfortunately, the SP800UZ does not support a more powerful external
>flash, so short of a tripod there's little you could have done. Well not
>totally true since the FL-36R and FL-50R flashes will work wirelessly
>with the SP800UZ. Alas they are quite expensive compared to D-SLR flashes.

What he could have done is not read your delusional pretend-photographer's
inanities.

No doubt he's not used to a super-zoom lens of any sort. THEY DO NOT FOCUS
CLOSE unless told to by using short focal-length zoom settings (wide angle
settings) and macro modes within a constrained focusing distance.

Learn your camera. RTFM!

From: Paul Furman on
rfdjr1(a)optonline.net wrote:
> I recently bought an Olympus SP800UZ. Tonight I was trying to take some flash
> pictures, inside, of a new guitar. Shots were taken from four to six feet away.
> Not one of about a half dozen shots were as clear as I would expect from the
> camera. As I said, I used flash, I have the AF illumination turned on as well as
> image stabilization. I was using the camera hand held, as my tripod was down in
> my car. What else, short of a tripod, could I have done to try and get a sharp
> image?

Try zooming as wide as it'll go and move closer. This will give more
light, faster shutter, (and more exaggerated perspective distortion,
which may or may not be desirable).
From: Martin Brown on
On 28/05/2010 04:34, rfdjr1(a)optonline.net wrote:
> I recently bought an Olympus SP800UZ. Tonight I was trying to take some flash
> pictures, inside, of a new guitar. Shots were taken from four to six feet away.

That is fairly close so even the weedy flash unit on a P&S should manage
that distance OK. Sounds to me like the autofocus didn't lock onto the
guitar properly. A bit more ambient light might help with that.

4-6 feet is in the range that most cameras ought to be able to focus.
Default when it sees no focus assist signal back is to assume infinity
focus which may well be what happened here.

Is the guitar by any chance a black one?

> Not one of about a half dozen shots were as clear as I would expect from the
> camera. As I said, I used flash, I have the AF illumination turned on as well as
> image stabilization. I was using the camera hand held, as my tripod was down in
> my car. What else, short of a tripod, could I have done to try and get a sharp
> image?

Try and hold the camera steady and squeeze the shutter release. Are you
sure that the flash actually fired? Flash photography will usually
freeze movement so you get a tack sharp bright image with a dimmer
motion blur from the image formed by the ambient light.

It would help to see a sample image. It is hard to guess what went wrong
from your description. If you try to photograph the same guitar from the
same distance outside in natural sunlight can you get decent images?
That would eliminate bad camera technique from the equation.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: ken d on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:29:48 +0100, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 28/05/2010 04:34, rfdjr1(a)optonline.net wrote:
>> I recently bought an Olympus SP800UZ. Tonight I was trying to take some flash
>> pictures, inside, of a new guitar. Shots were taken from four to six feet away.
>
>That is fairly close so even the weedy flash unit on a P&S should manage
>that distance OK. Sounds to me like the autofocus didn't lock onto the
>guitar properly. A bit more ambient light might help with that.
>
>4-6 feet is in the range that most cameras ought to be able to focus.
>Default when it sees no focus assist signal back is to assume infinity
>focus which may well be what happened here.
>
>Is the guitar by any chance a black one?

Do you often pretend to give advice about which you know NOTHING about?

The bright bronze or silver strings alone are enough to focus on.

>> Not one of about a half dozen shots were as clear as I would expect from the
>> camera. As I said, I used flash, I have the AF illumination turned on as well as
>> image stabilization. I was using the camera hand held, as my tripod was down in
>> my car. What else, short of a tripod, could I have done to try and get a sharp
>> image?
>
>Try and hold the camera steady and squeeze the shutter release. Are you
>sure that the flash actually fired? Flash photography will usually
>freeze movement so you get a tack sharp bright image with a dimmer
>motion blur from the image formed by the ambient light.
>
>It would help to see a sample image. It is hard to guess what went wrong
>from your description. If you try to photograph the same guitar from the
>same distance outside in natural sunlight can you get decent images?
>That would eliminate bad camera technique from the equation.
>
>Regards,
>Martin Brown

Yet another KNOW NOTHING ROLE-PLAYING PRETEND-PHOTOGRAPHER TROLL.

From: David Ruether on

"Outing Trolls is FUN!" <otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote in message

Time to "take out the trolls..." <PLONK!>
--DR