From: five256 on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 14:16:35 -0300, Ajo Wissink
<ajo(a)notrealaddress.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 May 2010 11:58:48 -0400, five256(a)NOwhere.com wrote:
>
>>I set Eudora to save my email on the server(s) for 30 days. That was
>>about a week ago. Now I decided I don't want my emails to stay on the
>>server. However, they are staying on the server even though I changed
>>the setting in Eudora for each account (BTW, what are the Standard
>>settings for mail on the server?). How do I get the mail off my server?
>>I know it's there because I use a pre-screener called Mailwasher and my
>>emails that I've already downloaded are still on Mailwasher.
>
>I suppose that the mail you have set to stay on the server for 30 days
>will be there for 30 days. New mail will be deleted after having
>been downloaded.
>
>If you want the old mail deleted from the the server: right-click on
>those messages in the message summary and select "Change server
>status", then select "delete". The next time you check mail those
>messages will be deleted.

Are you talking about Eudora or Mailwasher? Where is the message
Summary?
From: Ajo Wissink on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 16:20:07 -0400, five256(a)NOwhere.com wrote:

>On Wed, 05 May 2010 09:37:48 -0700, Steve Urbach
><dragonsclaw(a)NOTmindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 05 May 2010 11:58:48 -0400, five256(a)NOwhere.com wrote:
>>
>>>I set Eudora to save my email on the server(s) for 30 days. That was
>>>about a week ago. Now I decided I don't want my emails to stay on the
>>>server. However, they are staying on the server even though I changed
>>>the setting in Eudora for each account (BTW, what are the Standard
>>>settings for mail on the server?). How do I get the mail off my server?
>>>I know it's there because I use a pre-screener called Mailwasher and my
>>>emails that I've already downloaded are still on Mailwasher.
>>I don't know about Mailwasher, but to remove mail left on server (Icon visible
>>in the server status column), right click and select,
>>"Change Server Status" | "Delete"
>
>In all the many years I've used Eudora, I've never run into the Server
>Status option (and I can't find it now). Please tell me how to get to
>the Server Status column. Thanks..........

You don't need to see the server status column. Just right-click on
the message and select |Change server status"

I f you want to see that column you have to enable it in Tools >
Options > Mailboxes
From: Han on
five256(a)NOwhere.com wrote in news:ks43u5h4mbkatfl3qepi6vhoinjhd6d422@
4ax.com:

> I set Eudora to save my email on the server(s) for 30 days. That was
> about a week ago. Now I decided I don't want my emails to stay on the
> server. However, they are staying on the server even though I changed
> the setting in Eudora for each account (BTW, what are the Standard
> settings for mail on the server?). How do I get the mail off my server?
> I know it's there because I use a pre-screener called Mailwasher and my
> emails that I've already downloaded are still on Mailwasher.

First, hold down the shift key and then click on the get mail icon.
Check the radio button for "options at left" (upper right).
You should also see a choice to "fetch all message headers to In box"
(lower left).
Check off each mail account you need to do this for, if you have more than
one.
Click OK
All the headers will download.
In the message summary listing with all these headers, you can select them
all, then right click and choose server status delete.
Then check your mail again to effect the above choice to delete.

--
Best regards
Han
From: Laura Fredericks on

--
Laura Fredericks
PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

Usenet Flamewars:
http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

Remove CLOTHES to reply.
From: John H Meyers on
On 5/5/2010 12:16 PM:

> I suppose that the mail you have set to stay on the server for 30 days
> will be there for 30 days.

I don't think so -- on dozens of occasions,
we have told our users who have left too much mail on our servers
to either lower the number of days or turn off "leave on server" entirely,
and after the very next mail check, all messages fetched longer ago
than the new number (or all messages fetched at all) are always gone.

This is no doubt because what's recorded in LMOS files for older messages
is likely to be the date/time of original fetching, which remains constant,
and would then be compared to the current date/time of a new "check mail,"
with the difference being compared to the _current_ (new) limit.

This logic would certainly apply the new limit to all old mail,
or if LMOS is turned off, then all old mail will be deleted
(except partially downloaded messages, which are not deleted
until after being fully downloaded,
or else deleted after emptying them from Trash,
if that independent option is in effect)

The key thing is that the LMOS function is controlled entirely by clients;
there is no such thing as telling a server to delete mail 30 days from now --
the only client command to delete from server takes effect immediately when issued
(upon normal completion of the current POP session),
so the figuring of when to delete always remains adjustable in the client,
and takes effect anew upon every new "check mail."

However, when MailWasher gets into the act, this may no longer be the case.

In particular, Eudora never even sees the messages "deleted" via Mailwasher,
yet MailWasher claims this interesting ability to "un-delete" them:

"Question: Can I get deleted messages back?
Answer: MailWasher Pro keeps a log of deleted messages
and lets you rescue these via the recycle bin."
http://www.mailwasher.net/frequently-asked-questions

How does MailWasher do that?

"Question: What are my email settings?
Answer: To successfully setup MailWasher you'll need your email settings.
MailWasher will import these automatically from your email program."

Does MailWasher import the "Leave on server" settings as well?
If so, does it neglect to update changes you may later make in Eudora?
Or, does MailWasher have its own "delete when?" settings?

A thorough Eudora log, including "All bytes received,"
should shed some light on why things might change when MailWasher gets involved,
noting in particular that Eudora never sees messages that MailWasher has "deleted,"
so that only MailWasher itself can be "keeping" those.

I also see that the OP has said:

"How do I get the mail off my server?
I know it's there because I use a pre-screener called Mailwasher
and my emails that I've already downloaded are still on Mailwasher."

Try verifying that with an independent POP client,
such as the following (first click "Advanced login"
and be sure to choose POP3 protocol): http://mail2web.com

Or, use MailWasher itself to delete them!
(if "delete" really means anything, as already noted above)