From: WelshGas on
On 01/08/2010 16:02, in article
1jmjyyx.1ku33bn1kp6lz4N%pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com, "Peter James"
<pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> "Graham J" <graham(a)invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Peter James" <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
>>> along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
>>>
>>> My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
>>> my Belkin wired router.
>>>
>>> I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
>>>
>>> http://mapwow.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
>>>
>>> Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
>>> these sites within the OS?
>>> I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
>>> disallow these sites.
>>>
>>> I do see that in the Belkln router settings is a series of settings that
>>> would allow me to set these sites as "allowed". But it would seem that
>>> I need the web address starting something like 192, etc to enter them.
>>> Where would I find these?
>>>
>>> Thank you for any replies, I am getting a bit desperate on this.
>>
>> What happens why you try a different computer connected to the same router,
>> or the same computer connected to a different router, or even a different
>> router and a different computer connected to the same phone line & ISP?
> I can't do that as I don't have the resources to do it. The strange
> thing is that I've just changed my old G5 iMac for this machine three
> months back. Before that the router behaved perfectly. Never a
> problem.

So we have established that you changed the Computer 3 months ago, BUT not
the router.
I presume you were able to get to these sites with the old computer?
Since changing computer have you been able to load the sites or is this the
first time you have tried?
If this is the first time you have tried, have you changed anything on the
router since changing the computers?
Have you rebooted the router?
Have you emptied the cache or reset Safari - See under Menu Safari

Both sites open fine here using the same computer setup with a Belkin
router.

These are On-Line Gaming sites - Does your ISP allow them?

--
Welsh Gas
Remove usual to reply direct.

From: isw on
In article <1jmjmr0.1k8q1zmwfav5cN%pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com>,
pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com (Peter James) wrote:

> I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
> along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
>
> My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
> my Belkin wired router.
>
> I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
>
> http://mapwow.com/
>
> http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
>
> Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
> these sites within the OS?
> I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
> disallow these sites.

Might be a DNS problem. Open Preferences/Network, select Advanced ...,
and then select DNS.

Add a couple of well-known public servers to your list of DNS Servers
and see if that helps.

You can find lists online, and it would be best to use ones near you,
but here are the ones on my list:

156.154.70.1
208.67.220.220
4.2.2.2

An open-source utility called "namebench" can help you find the best DNS
for you to use.

--

Isaac
From: Mike Lane on
isw wrote on Aug 1, 2010:

> In article <1jmjmr0.1k8q1zmwfav5cN%pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com>,
> pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com (Peter James) wrote:
>
>> I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
>> along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
>>
>> My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
>> my Belkin wired router.
>>
>> I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
>>
>> http://mapwow.com/
>>
>> http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
>>
>> Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
>> these sites within the OS?
>> I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
>> disallow these sites.
>
> Might be a DNS problem. Open Preferences/Network, select Advanced ...,
> and then select DNS.
>
> Add a couple of well-known public servers to your list of DNS Servers
> and see if that helps.
>
> You can find lists online, and it would be best to use ones near you,
> but here are the ones on my list:
>
> 156.154.70.1
> 208.67.220.220
> 4.2.2.2
>
> An open-source utility called "namebench" can help you find the best DNS
> for you to use.

I had a problem accessing a particular website (Agile Web Solutions).
Changing my DNS setting to Google Public DNS solved the problem:
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

From: Peter James on
WelshGas <welshgas(a)virginmedia.com> wrote:

> snipped
>
> So we have established that you changed the Computer 3 months ago, BUT not
> the router.
Correct
> I presume you were able to get to these sites with the old computer?
Yes, no problem.
> Since changing computer have you been able to load the sites or is this the
> first time you have tried?
Had problems since changing, and I've tried many times.
> If this is the first time you have tried, have you changed anything on the
> router since changing the computers?
No
> Have you rebooted the router?
Yes
> Have you emptied the cache or reset Safari - See under Menu Safari
Yes
> Both sites open fine here using the same computer setup with a Belkin
> router.
>
> These are On-Line Gaming sites - Does your ISP allow them?
Normaly, yes. There's been no change there as far as I understand.
I'll e-mail them and make sure.

Since changing the computer I've also had trouble with my USB card
readers not working. All in all I've had more trouble with this Intel
iMac than I ever had with the G5 iMac.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
From: Peter Ceresole on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Another thing I've found with this Intel iMac is that my USB card reader
> doesn't work, and I've tried every USB port on the computer, including
> the powered USB group, the keyboard ports and the ports on the back of
> the computer. Strange, it worked perfectly on my old G5 PPC iMac.

It seems very much as though there is something wrong with your new
Intel Mac. Incidentally, I am using one of those iMacs, and using my
ISP's DNS servers, those sites work fine.
--
Peter