From: isw on
In article <1jmm14b.1b7jvs5xp9cxuN%peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk>,
peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:

> Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Another thing I've found with this Intel iMac is that my USB card reader
> > doesn't work, and I've tried every USB port on the computer, including
> > the powered USB group, the keyboard ports and the ports on the back of
> > the computer. Strange, it worked perfectly on my old G5 PPC iMac.
>
> It seems very much as though there is something wrong with your new
> Intel Mac. Incidentally, I am using one of those iMacs, and using my
> ISP's DNS servers, those sites work fine.

Not all ISPs know how to run decent DNS; Comcast is, IME, a prime
example of the clue meter reading zero.

Avoiding their DNS in favor of a couple of decent public ones solved the
problem for all four of the Macs in our household.

Isaac
From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-03-2010 02:46, isw wrote:
> Not all ISPs know how to run decent DNS; Comcast is, IME, a prime
> example of the clue meter reading zero.

Comcast was either unwilling or unable to stop a Nimda worm
on the _same_ IP address for over seven months. (That's when
I turned off firewall logging after showing it to their
security department and others).

However, more recently, I lost service from Verizon.
I thought they had changed their DNS server, but the
guy insisted they hadn't and sent me a new router (!).
(At least he had _heard_ of DNS, unlike Comcast techs)
But then I studied the logs and messages some more and
figured out that the Verizon DNS server was accepting
connections to port 53 but answering with gibberish.

Switching to the Google server got me back online.
And now I can give Veri^H^H^H^HFrontier the bad router
they refused to replace three years ago. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

"In the field of language teaching, Method A is the logical
contradiction of Method B: if the assumptions from which
A claims to be derived are correct, then B cannot work,
and vice versa. Yet one colleague is getting excellent
results with A and another is getting comparable results
with B. How is this possible?"
-- Earl W. Stevick
From: Peter James on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm using an Intel iMac 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X v 10.6.04
> along with Safari v 5.0.1 and occasionally Camino v 2.0.3.
>
> My system firewall is turned off, and I'm using the firewall built in to
> my Belkin wired router.
>
> I am unable to open certain sites, as an example:
>
> http://mapwow.com/
>
> http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main
>
> Could there be any other settings that might be refusing me access to
> these sites within the OS?
> I've checked the Belkin router and I can't find any settings that
> disallow these sites.
>
> I do see that in the Belkln router settings is a series of settings that
> would allow me to set these sites as "allowed". But it would seem that
> I need the web address starting something like 192, etc to enter them.
> Where would I find these?
>
> Thank you for any replies, I am getting a bit desperate on this.
>
> Peter

Regarding my original posting. My ISP has suggested that the problem
might lie with the MTU settings on computer and router/modem.
Investigation shows that the MTU of the iMac is set to 1500, whilst the
MTU on the router/modem is set to 1454. The latter is the factory
default.
Is there likely to be any problems if I reset the router/modem to a MTU
of 1500, the same as the iMac?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
From: Jim on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Regarding my original posting. My ISP has suggested that the problem
> might lie with the MTU settings on computer and router/modem.
> Investigation shows that the MTU of the iMac is set to 1500, whilst the
> MTU on the router/modem is set to 1454. The latter is the factory
> default.
> Is there likely to be any problems if I reset the router/modem to a MTU
> of 1500, the same as the iMac?

I think I might be inclined to try the opposite - set the Mac's MTU to
1454. It won't take long to test and you can set it back again
afterwards if it doesn't work.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Peter James on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Regarding my original posting. My ISP has suggested that the problem
> > might lie with the MTU settings on computer and router/modem.
> > Investigation shows that the MTU of the iMac is set to 1500, whilst the
> > MTU on the router/modem is set to 1454. The latter is the factory
> > default.
> > Is there likely to be any problems if I reset the router/modem to a MTU
> > of 1500, the same as the iMac?
>
> I think I might be inclined to try the opposite - set the Mac's MTU to
> 1454. It won't take long to test and you can set it back again
> afterwards if it doesn't work.
>
> Jim

OK, so I set the MTU rate for both iMac and router to 1454. The result
is now quite weird. If I open, or attempt to open www.mapwow.com the
page partially opens and displays a message saying "loading", and it
just hangs like that.
The menu to the right of the page showing site names, travel links, etc
I can access by clicking on and up comes the information requested, but
on a blank screen that should also show the map or the area in which I
am interested.
This is the result I get using Safari and Camino. Weird or not?

Peter