From: Jim on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Regarding my original posting. My ISP has suggested that the problem
> > > might lie with the MTU settings on computer and router/modem.
> > > Investigation shows that the MTU of the iMac is set to 1500, whilst the
> > > MTU on the router/modem is set to 1454. The latter is the factory
> > > default.
> > > Is there likely to be any problems if I reset the router/modem to a MTU
> > > of 1500, the same as the iMac?
> >
> > I think I might be inclined to try the opposite - set the Mac's MTU to
> > 1454. It won't take long to test and you can set it back again
> > afterwards if it doesn't work.
> >
> > Jim
>
> OK, so I set the MTU rate for both iMac and router to 1454. The result
> is now quite weird. If I open, or attempt to open www.mapwow.com the
> page partially opens and displays a message saying "loading", and it
> just hangs like that.
> The menu to the right of the page showing site names, travel links, etc
> I can access by clicking on and up comes the information requested, but
> on a blank screen that should also show the map or the area in which I
> am interested.
> This is the result I get using Safari and Camino. Weird or not?

Very. Have you tried setting both to 1500?

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Peter James on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> > > I think I might be inclined to try the opposite - set the Mac's MTU to
> > > 1454. It won't take long to test and you can set it back again
> > > afterwards if it doesn't work.
> > >
> > > Jim
> >
> > OK, so I set the MTU rate for both iMac and router to 1454. The result
> > is now quite weird. If I open, or attempt to open www.mapwow.com the
> > page partially opens and displays a message saying "loading", and it
> > just hangs like that.
> > The menu to the right of the page showing site names, travel links, etc
> > I can access by clicking on and up comes the information requested, but
> > on a blank screen that should also show the map or the area in which I
> > am interested.
> > This is the result I get using Safari and Camino. Weird or not?
>
> Very. Have you tried setting both to 1500?
>
> Jim
I am not able to set the MTU setting on the router any higher than 1492.
So I've set both router and iMac to 1492 with no improvement. I'll try
setting them both to 1492 and see what happens.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
From: Peter James on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> snipped
> > > OK, so I set the MTU rate for both iMac and router to 1454. The result
> > > is now quite weird. If I open, or attempt to open www.mapwow.com the
> > > page partially opens and displays a message saying "loading", and it
> > > just hangs like that.
> > > The menu to the right of the page showing site names, travel links, etc
> > > I can access by clicking on and up comes the information requested, but
> > > on a blank screen that should also show the map or the area in which I
> > > am interested.
> > > This is the result I get using Safari and Camino. Weird or not?
> >
> > Very. Have you tried setting both to 1500?
> >
> > Jim
> I am not able to set the MTU setting on the router any higher than 1492.
> So I've set both router and iMac to 1492 with no improvement. I'll try
> setting them both to 1492 and see what happens.
>
> Peter
With them both set to 1492 MTU no success, but with both set to 1454 MTU
normal results achieved. But why didn't that happen when I previously
tried them both at 1454?
Oh well, let's not question the gods of the computer.
What a saga.

Peter

From: Jim on
Peter James <pfjames2000(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I am not able to set the MTU setting on the router any higher than 1492.
> > So I've set both router and iMac to 1492 with no improvement. I'll try
> > setting them both to 1492 and see what happens.
> >
> > Peter
> With them both set to 1492 MTU no success, but with both set to 1454 MTU
> normal results achieved. But why didn't that happen when I previously
> tried them both at 1454?
> Oh well, let's not question the gods of the computer.
> What a saga.

Well, at least it's working. Weird one though.

Jim
From: Wes Groleau on
On 08-07-2010 06:51, Peter James wrote:
> With them both set to 1492 MTU no success, but with both set to 1454 MTU
> normal results achieved. But why didn't that happen when I previously
> tried them both at 1454?

Maybe you didn't press hard enough on the mouse button to click Save ?

I am not familiar with what MTU is, but when the two ends of a
connection disagree on a setting, unexpected behavior is to be
expected. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you
what can't be done and why. Then do it.
-- Robert A. Heinlein