From: Jan Pech on

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 17:11 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> I have a KVM XP VM running on Fedora 12. I'm trying to run SignalTap on
> the VM however I can't get the VM to see the USB cable. Virt-manager sees
> the cable and I've attached it to the VM but XP doesn't see it. Has
> anyone been able to attach an Altera cable to a KVM VM?
>
> p.s. the reason that I'm trying to do this with a VM is that Quartus
> doesn't run on Fedora, just CentOS. Also I've found that the Altera cable
> driver is pretty much unusable on CentOS so putting a native CentOS
> partition on machine won't solve the problem. I don't have a native
> Windows partition on my laptop so that's not an option either.

Quartus II 9.1sp1 runs under my x86_64 Fedora fine. It was just
necessary to do some small hacking first.

1. Edit the <altera_install_dir>/quartus/adm/qenv.csh file to get rid of
the stupid compatibility mode causing Quartus IDE to freeze. I added
following lines below simlar section related to CentOS:
if ( "$REDHAT_VERSION" =~ *Fedora* ) then
setenv REDHAT_VERSION 5.0rhel
endif

2. Run the Quartus II IDE as well as other tools in 64 bit mode under
x86_64 Fedora. Otherwise the tools do not start complaining about tcl/tk
problems.
quartus --64bit

Second option is to use brand new native Linux GUI based on QT (qgui).
It is in beta but it looks fine.

I hope this helps you to get rid of the VM. I use Quartus 9.1 this way
since SP1 was released.

Jan

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:22:13 +0100, Jan Pech wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 17:11 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> I have a KVM XP VM running on Fedora 12. I'm trying to run SignalTap on
>> the VM however I can't get the VM to see the USB cable. Virt-manager
>> sees the cable and I've attached it to the VM but XP doesn't see it.
>> Has anyone been able to attach an Altera cable to a KVM VM?
>>
>> p.s. the reason that I'm trying to do this with a VM is that Quartus
>> doesn't run on Fedora, just CentOS. Also I've found that the Altera
>> cable driver is pretty much unusable on CentOS so putting a native
>> CentOS partition on machine won't solve the problem. I don't have a
>> native Windows partition on my laptop so that's not an option either.
>

> BTW, what is wrong with the JTAG cable driver on CentOS? I use Altera
> tools on both Fedora and CentOS and I had no problems at all. At least
> not since the time I managed to setup udev properly and start the jtagd
> during system startup.
>
> Jan

Two questions,

1) How do you invoke the new beta GUI?
2) What did you do to get udev working?

When I tried to use the USB Blaster from CentOS it almost never found the
FPGA, on XP on the same machine it worked.

From: Jan Pech on

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 14:49 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:22:13 +0100, Jan Pech wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 17:11 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> >> I have a KVM XP VM running on Fedora 12. I'm trying to run SignalTap on
> >> the VM however I can't get the VM to see the USB cable. Virt-manager
> >> sees the cable and I've attached it to the VM but XP doesn't see it.
> >> Has anyone been able to attach an Altera cable to a KVM VM?
> >>
> >> p.s. the reason that I'm trying to do this with a VM is that Quartus
> >> doesn't run on Fedora, just CentOS. Also I've found that the Altera
> >> cable driver is pretty much unusable on CentOS so putting a native
> >> CentOS partition on machine won't solve the problem. I don't have a
> >> native Windows partition on my laptop so that's not an option either.
> >

> > BTW, what is wrong with the JTAG cable driver on CentOS? I use Altera
> > tools on both Fedora and CentOS and I had no problems at all. At least
> > not since the time I managed to setup udev properly and start the jtagd
> > during system startup.
> >
> > Jan
>
> Two questions,
>
> 1) How do you invoke the new beta GUI?
> 2) What did you do to get udev working?
>
> When I tried to use the USB Blaster from CentOS it almost never found the
> FPGA, on XP on the same machine it worked.

1) qgui

2) cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usbblaster.rules:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001",
MODE="0666", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#usbdev};
printf /proc/bus/usb/%%03i/%%03i$${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", RUN+="/bin/chmod
0666 %c"

Jan

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:58:56 +0100, Jan Pech wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 14:49 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

>> > BTW, what is wrong with the JTAG cable driver on CentOS? I use Altera
>> > tools on both Fedora and CentOS and I had no problems at all. At
>> > least not since the time I managed to setup udev properly and start
>> > the jtagd during system startup.
>> >
>> > Jan
>>
>> Two questions,
>>
>> 1) How do you invoke the new beta GUI? 2) What did you do to get udev
>> working?
>>
>> When I tried to use the USB Blaster from CentOS it almost never found
>> the FPGA, on XP on the same machine it worked.
>>

> 1) qgui
>
> 2) cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usbblaster.rules:
>
> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="09fb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6001",
> MODE="0666", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#usbdev}; printf
> /proc/bus/usb/%%03i/%%03i$${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", RUN+="/bin/chmod 0666
> %c"
>
> Jan

Thanks, its' all working on Fedora 12. I switch to the beta GUI and I set
up udev as you suggested and I added the following to /etc/rc.local

echo 356 40000 32 32000 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem
/usr/local/tools/Quartus/bin/jtagd