From: General Schvantzkoph on
I have a KVM XP VM running on Fedora 12. I'm trying to run SignalTap on
the VM however I can't get the VM to see the USB cable. Virt-manager sees
the cable and I've attached it to the VM but XP doesn't see it. Has
anyone been able to attach an Altera cable to a KVM VM?

p.s. the reason that I'm trying to do this with a VM is that Quartus
doesn't run on Fedora, just CentOS. Also I've found that the Altera cable
driver is pretty much unusable on CentOS so putting a native CentOS
partition on machine won't solve the problem. I don't have a native
Windows partition on my laptop so that's not an option either.
From: Petter Gustad on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> p.s. the reason that I'm trying to do this with a VM is that Quartus
> doesn't run on Fedora, just CentOS. Also I've found that the Altera cable
> driver is pretty much unusable on CentOS so putting a native CentOS
> partition on machine won't solve the problem. I don't have a native
> Windows partition on my laptop so that's not an option either.

Hmm. I've used the USB blaster almost daily on several gentoo systems
for the last couple years. I even used an old headless PC (running
gentoo) as a JTAG server for some time. However, I tend to use most of
the CLI (quartus_pgm, nios2-download, and gdb) tools except signaltap.

Long ago when I was running Quartus on Solaris I had an old Windows
Laptop (I think it was even a 486) running Quartus Programmer acting
as a JTAG server.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:08:07 +0100, Petter Gustad wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> p.s. the reason that I'm trying to do this with a VM is that Quartus
>> doesn't run on Fedora, just CentOS. Also I've found that the Altera
>> cable driver is pretty much unusable on CentOS so putting a native
>> CentOS partition on machine won't solve the problem. I don't have a
>> native Windows partition on my laptop so that's not an option either.
>
> Hmm. I've used the USB blaster almost daily on several gentoo systems
> for the last couple years. I even used an old headless PC (running
> gentoo) as a JTAG server for some time. However, I tend to use most of
> the CLI (quartus_pgm, nios2-download, and gdb) tools except signaltap.
>
> Long ago when I was running Quartus on Solaris I had an old Windows
> Laptop (I think it was even a 486) running Quartus Programmer acting as
> a JTAG server.
>

> Petter

I have an old first generation A64 machine that I'm using as a lab
computer. I have both CentOS 5.4 and XP on that system. Under CentOS
SignalTap hardly ever sees the USB Blaster, I have to keep power cycling
the board or the cable and occasionally SignalTap will find it. Using XP
on the same machine there are no problems with SignalTap finding the
cable. In a couple of weeks I want to demo something to customer which is
why I need to be able to use my laptop. I was hoping to be able to use an
XP VM for this purpose but I haven't been able to get the VM to see the
cable.
From: Petter Gustad on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> why I need to be able to use my laptop. I was hoping to be able to use an
> XP VM for this purpose but I haven't been able to get the VM to see the
> cable.

I understand. Unfortunately I haven't tried that combo.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Jan Pech on

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 17:11 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> I have a KVM XP VM running on Fedora 12. I'm trying to run SignalTap on
> the VM however I can't get the VM to see the USB cable. Virt-manager sees
> the cable and I've attached it to the VM but XP doesn't see it. Has
> anyone been able to attach an Altera cable to a KVM VM?
>
> p.s. the reason that I'm trying to do this with a VM is that Quartus
> doesn't run on Fedora, just CentOS. Also I've found that the Altera cable
> driver is pretty much unusable on CentOS so putting a native CentOS
> partition on machine won't solve the problem. I don't have a native
> Windows partition on my laptop so that's not an option either.

BTW, what is wrong with the JTAG cable driver on CentOS? I use Altera
tools on both Fedora and CentOS and I had no problems at all. At least
not since the time I managed to setup udev properly and start the jtagd
during system startup.

Jan