From: Steve on
If I made an application, and wanted to make it portable, is it
possible to compile it into a single binary?
From: Adam Kellas on
On Mar 2, 12:12 pm, Steve <st...(a)staticg.com> wrote:
> If I made an application, and wanted to make it portable, is it
> possible to compile it into a single binary?

Don't you mean "if I want to make it un-portable"? A script is
portable, a binary will be native to a particular platform. But yes,
there are advantages to making your script into a binary and there are
tools to do so. Last I looked there's a commercial tool made by
ActiveState and at least one free alternative. Google will help you
here.

AK
From: Steve on
On Mar 2, 9:18 am, Adam Kellas <adam.kel...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 12:12 pm, Steve <st...(a)staticg.com> wrote:
>
> > If I made an application, and wanted to make it portable, is it
> > possible to compile it into a single binary?
>
> Don't you mean "if I want to make it un-portable"? A script is
> portable, a binary will be native to a particular platform. But yes,
> there are advantages to making your script into a binary and there are
> tools to do so. Last I looked there's a commercial tool made by
> ActiveState and at least one free alternative. Google will help you
> here.
>
> AK

Unportable? No, that's not what I mean. EG: I make a script/program
that loads modules I've installed on my computer. I can't go and move
this to another server/computer unless I install the modules first,
right? I'm looking for a way to avoid installing all the modules
manually.
From: Adam Kellas on
On Mar 2, 12:40 pm, Steve <st...(a)staticg.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 9:18 am, Adam Kellas <adam.kel...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 2, 12:12 pm, Steve <st...(a)staticg.com> wrote:
>
> > > If I made an application, and wanted to make it portable, is it
> > > possible to compile it into a single binary?
>
> > Don't you mean "if I want to make it un-portable"? A script is
> > portable, a binary will be native to a particular platform. But yes,
> > there are advantages to making your script into a binary and there are
> > tools to do so. Last I looked there's a commercial tool made by
> > ActiveState and at least one free alternative. Google will help you
> > here.
>
> > AK
>
> Unportable? No, that's not what I mean. EG: I make a script/program
> that loads modules I've installed on my computer.  I can't go and move
> this to another server/computer unless I install the modules first,
> right? I'm looking for a way to avoid installing all the modules
> manually.

Which is a fine goal, but not what is meant by "portable". Portable
means it can run on different platforms.

AK
From: J�rgen Exner on
Steve <steve(a)staticg.com> wrote:
>If I made an application, and wanted to make it portable, is it
>possible to compile it into a single binary?

See "perldoc -q compile":
"How can I compile my Perl program into byte code or C?"

jue