From: kangax on
On 1/6/10 3:11 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

[...]

> So I would take the conservative approach for the time being: Avoid that
> which leads to the necessity of adding `unload' listeners where possible,
> and properly detect the faulty DOM implementation where it cannot be
> avoided in order to add those listeners.

How would you detect faulty DOM implementation?

>> Latest jQuery (currently beta, IIRC) attaches "load" listener only when
>> `window.attachEvent` is present (and `window.addEventListener` is not).
>> It would probably be better if they used conditional comments,
>
> Those are _not_ Conditional Comments, it is conditional _compilation_, ...

Yes, of course. Thanks for correction.

>> as
>> Garrett does in APE:
>>
>> isMaybeLeak/*@cc_on=(@_jscript_version<5.7)@*/
>
> ... and it is utter nonsense in this context. As we had established
> already, the programming language has little or nothing to do with the user
> agent that provides the DOM API which exhibits this flaw.

Indeed. I should have thought about it.

[...]

--
kangax
From: kangax on
On 1/6/10 9:51 AM, David Mark wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
[...]
>>> Yes, I'm sure that was a slip of the keyboard.
>>
>> IBTD :)
>>

> Now how would you know? I imagine Kangax knows the difference between
> the two.

Hmm, how would I know the difference between two... :)
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/9d86789cac65b2a1>
(funny that you and me already had almost exact same conversation,
although before I started testing FHN).

--
kangax
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jan 5, 7:11 pm, acoleman616 <acoleman...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently having a dilemma.  I'm using an iframe as a target to
> handle a form submit to allow users to submit file uploads without
> requiring a page reload.  What I want to do is this: when the user
> clicks the submit button, I want a "cancel" button to appear -
> clicking that "cancel" button will then kill/cancel the form submit
> currently in progress.  Any thoughts?

Can't you just change the url of the target iframe? That should stop
any process currently submitting the file, should it not? You might
have to handle the broken connection on the server side.

Matt Kruse
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jan 6, 10:52 am, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Among many other things.  It kills IE with ActiveX disabled, even
> > though IE has supported XHR without ActiveX for years.
> ActiveX problem is fixed in a trunk, AFAIR.

Indeed, I thought David would be watching the jquery-dev list like
usual, notice yesterday's thread, and trumpet in here how the change
is long over-due and he was the one who got them to change it! Heh.

Interestingly, it looks like "My Library" will fail on local files in
IE7. It's commented on, but not accounted for.

Matt Kruse
From: Asen Bozhilov on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> >    isMaybeLeak/*@cc_on=(@_jscript_version<5.7)@*/
>
> ... and it is utter nonsense in this context.  As we had established
> already, the programming language has little or nothing to do with the user
> agent that provides the DOM API which exhibits this flaw.

Useless conclusion. The problem in the implementation of GC for host
objects in JScript. That is irrelevant with DOM API provided from IE.
Are you write scripts which run in WSH? There again you have host
objects, and they again leak.
David Mark is absolutely right. The real problem is in the head of
developers and the way of their design. Detection `isLeak` itself is
dummy strategy especially in environment which have garbage
collection.