From: David Mark on
On Jan 6, 12:22 pm, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/10 9:51 AM, David Mark wrote:
>
> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> >> David Mark wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> IBTD :)
>
> > Now how would you know?  I imagine Kangax knows the difference between
> > the two.
>
> Hmm, how would I know the difference between two... :)
> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/9d86789cac65b2a1>
> (funny that you and me already had almost exact same conversation,
> although before I started testing FHN).

Oh, BTW, that's the same conversation where I explained that you need
neither expandos nor an ID-requirement to create an addEvent
function. How did that come up again, today? :)

And you don't need handles either, but I think that's the only sane
general-purpose solution. I know some will complain that it isn't
exactly the same as the wrapped DOM interfaces, but how is it the goal
to exactly mimic those? Seems like wrappers are a chance to improve
on them. ;)
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
kangax wrote:

> David Mark wrote:
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> IBTD :)
>> Now how would you know? I imagine Kangax knows the difference between
>> the two.
>
> Hmm, how would I know the difference between two... :)
> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/9d86789cac65b2a1>
> (funny that you and me already had almost exact same conversation,
> although before I started testing FHN).

I stand corrected. Sorry, it was too much of a "slip of the keyboard" for
me to imagine.

PointedEars
From: David Mark on
On Jan 6, 11:52 am, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/10 1:57 AM, David Mark wrote:

> >> Actually no, in reality things are not as bad as you make them sound ;)
>
> >> First of all, as I'm sure you know, our favorite "browser" — the one
> >> with ~62% market share at the moment
> >> (http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0) —
> >> has nofast historynavigation whatsoever.
>
> > IE?  It's had it since IE2, IIRC.  Did they lose it at some point?
>
> IE 6, 7, 8 had none, last time I checked. But we need to definefasthistorynavigation first. I only checked execution of scripts (i.e. that
> navigating back/forward doesn't re-run them), and how unload listeners
> affect it.
>
> I haven't checked if request is sent to a server.

Right. That's what matters. ISTM that Chrome and IE both have it,
but they preserve the _initial_ state of the DOM, rather than the last
state. In such implementations, unload listeners would not need to
thwart the feature. I'll test that theory when I get a chance.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
David Mark wrote:

> On Jan 6, 1:28 pm, Matt Kruse <m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
>> Interestingly, it looks like "My Library" will fail on local files in
>> IE7. It's commented on, but not accounted for.
>
> That's not true.
>
> API.requireMimeTypeOverride
>
> Set that and it won't use the non-ActiveX version. ;)

That's a bit non-intuitive, don't you think?

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: David Mark on
On Jan 7, 4:09 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > On Jan 6, 1:28 pm, Matt Kruse <m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
> >> Interestingly, it looks like "My Library" will fail on local files in
> >> IE7. It's commented on, but not accounted for.
>
> > That's not true.
>
> > API.requireMimeTypeOverride
>
> > Set that and it won't use the non-ActiveX version.  ;)
>
> That's a bit non-intuitive, don't you think?

Absolutely, but not for requiring the (hack) overrideMimeType method
(which was what I had in mind at the time). :)