From: Arny Krueger on
"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> the lightbridge is a kludge

Has the Lightbridge actually caused any problems, or is just the indirect
nature of the FW connection that causes you concerns?

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>> the lightbridge is a kludge
>
> Has the Lightbridge actually caused any problems, or is just the indirect
> nature of the FW connection that causes you concerns?

just the needing to plug it in,both ac power and fire fire cord, and going
thru two interfaces each way
the lightbridge and the firewire card for my pc

From: Bob Howes on

> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> the lightbridge is a kludge
>>
>> Has the Lightbridge actually caused any problems, or is just the indirect
>> nature of the FW connection that causes you concerns?
>>
> just the needing to plug it in,both ac power and fire fire cord, and going
> thru two interfaces each way
> the lightbridge and the firewire card for my pc

I use the Lightbridge box in my home studio setup and, despite virtually
daily usage, so far it's been 100% reliable. Providing you have the right
flavour of Firewire chipset (they recommend TI) it seems a very stable bit
of hardware.

However, despite that personal experience, I'd be pretty worried about
relying on it in a live situation. My main concern would be the very strong
exhortations about never, ever doing any live plugging for fear of damaging
the FW interface in the computer. I have to say that, on a few occasions, I
have live-plugged without thinking and not had a problem--but the M-Audio
documentation implies that this has been down to luck rather than proving
it's safe. In the rushed world that is live sound I don't like this
characteristic--though, to be fair, I guess we've all learned not to plug in
condenser mics with the phantom power on...

Bob

From: Arny Krueger on
"Bob Howes" <no.emailatnowhere.com> wrote in message
> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
> message
>>
>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message
>>>
>>> Has the Lightbridge actually caused any problems, or is
>>> just the indirect nature of the FW connection that
>>> causes you concerns?
>> just the needing to plug it in,both ac power and fire
>> fire cord, and going thru two interfaces each way
>> the lightbridge and the firewire card for my pc

> I use the Lightbridge box in my home studio setup and,
> despite virtually daily usage, so far it's been 100%
> reliable. Providing you have the right flavour of
> Firewire chipset (they recommend TI) it seems a very
> stable bit of hardware.

Good news!

> However, despite that personal experience, I'd be pretty
> worried about relying on it in a live situation. My main
> concern would be the very strong exhortations about
> never, ever doing any live plugging for fear of damaging
> the FW interface in the computer. I have to say that, on
> a few occasions, I have live-plugged without thinking and
> not had a problem--but the M-Audio documentation implies
> that this has been down to luck rather than proving it's
> safe.

I hot plug FW and USB connections all the time, never a problem. They were
designed for hot-plugging.

> In the rushed world that is live sound I don't
> like this characteristic--though, to be fair, I guess
> we've all learned not to plug in condenser mics with the
> phantom power on...

I don't know if phantom powered mics and preamps are designed for hot
plugging or not. Schematics of both show that people are trying to make
them survive the experience.

We all try to avoid it, if for no reason other than the possibility one heck
of a transient. That sort of mishap is one reason why you put limiters in
sound systems.

A bad mic cable can do a pretty good job of simulating a hot-plugging
mishap, only it will probably do it far more times than a hot plug if it
goes bad during a performance.

From: Denny Strauser on
Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Bob Howes" <no.emailatnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> In the rushed world that is live sound I don't
>> like this characteristic--though, to be fair, I guess
>> we've all learned not to plug in condenser mics with the
>> phantom power on...
>
> I don't know if phantom powered mics and preamps are designed for hot
> plugging or not. Schematics of both show that people are trying to make
> them survive the experience.
>
> We all try to avoid it, if for no reason other than the possibility one heck
> of a transient. That sort of mishap is one reason why you put limiters in
> sound systems.
>
> A bad mic cable can do a pretty good job of simulating a hot-plugging
> mishap, only it will probably do it far more times than a hot plug if it
> goes bad during a performance.

A number of years ago, I heard a huge "BOOM" come out of the speakers,
and again a few seconds later, then a third time, as I was watching the
input meters. I noticed it was the hi-hat channel. As I tracked it down,
I found that the drummer's tubular drum throne lost it's rubber foot &
cut into the mic cable.

I haven't had any problems hot-unplugging USB stuff in years. Although,
I try to do it properly, there have been times I've forgotten or been
rushed & choose to just pull it quick. I can't say about light pipe or
firewire.

- Denny
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3