From: Paul on
Alex wrote:
> How exactly do I find out what kind of motherboard I have heh...

You can use Belarc Advisor.

This is the section from Advisor for my system. The motherboard
description is under "Main Circuit Board". Mine is an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2
(or was, until I replaced it).

"Main Circuit Board
Board: 4CoreDual-SATA2.
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P2.00 05/22/2008"

Note - do *not* just copy and paste all the output from Belarc, into
a new posting. Belarc includes in the listing, the license key(s) for
your software. Remove any license key information from the output,
before doing anything with it. (For example, I saved my Belarc output
to disk, then went into the file and X'd out the sensitive information,
so that I can never, by accident, post that information.)

Also, knowing just the motherboard name, isn't the total answer.
We could still be totally lost as to what computer that has come
from. You should have some idea what kind of computer it is, like
a "Dell Dimension 8400" or the like. If at all possible, post
the kind of computer like "Dell Dimension 8400", as well as the
motherboard name.

Some computers like that, have a "Service Tag" printed on a label
on the computer. Entering the Service Tag, on the manufacturer's site,
may help identify the computer. That is, if you can't find any
other identifying marks to work with. For example, you could
use the "Service Tag" to find drivers.

Paul

From: Alex on
Board: MSI MS-7160 20A
Bus ClockL 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080012 08/31/2005

My cousin built the computer so it isn't a manufactured computer.
From: Paul on
Alex wrote:
> Board: MSI MS-7160 20A
> Bus ClockL 200 megahertz
> BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080012 08/31/2005
>
> My cousin built the computer so it isn't a manufactured computer.

P4N SLI MS-7160 revision2.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=1&prod_no=197

You can compare the picture of the motherboard, to what is inside your
computer if you want. Notice how "P4N SLI" is printed next to the
green DIMM slots.

http://www.msi.com/uploads/prod_0358b85dcad439a344d3047d3c122bb8.jpg

*******

There is nothing to suggest a modem interface is right on the
motherboard itself.

When you connect your dial-up line, where do you plug
it in ? Do you plug into a faceplate in the PCI slot
area on the back of the computer ?

Check your Belarc output, to see if it makes any reference
to "modem" or not ?

It could be, there is a modem card plugged into a PCI slot,
and you'd need to identify that, to find a driver for it.
A "Winmodem" type card, has no intelligence to speak of,
and the driver is responsible for digital signal processing,
to convert the modem tones into data. A card with a "data pump",
on the other hand, needs much less in the way of a driver, and
the PCI card does most of the work.

In this Belarc example, there is a modem listed.

http://don-lewis.net/Belarc.htm

"Communications
Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem"

And even that might not be enough to locate a driver. The box the
modem came in, might label it with an actual model number and
manufacturer name. "Conexant" in this case, makes the main chips
in the modem, but probably did not make the card itself.

Electronic identification of devices in an unambiguous way, isn't
easy. I don't really have any tool suggestions I really like,
for figuring out what hardware you've got. Another tool is
Everest, but for the free version, it takes a lot of brain
power and searching, to convert the information into
something useful. If you have a product box, manual,
documentation, anything that has the make and model number
of the modem, that might be as useful as anything you can
get from an identification utility.

Paul
From: Alex on
Hey thanks a lot for the help, under Communications there is none detected
sooo..
From: Paul on
Alex wrote:
> Hey thanks a lot for the help, under Communications there is none detected
> sooo..

Do you see where on the computer the phone line plugs into an RJ-11
modem connector ?

This is a picture of a computer with a modem card present. The card
could have one or two connectors on it. (In the picture, the red outline
is drawn around the modem card faceplate.) The card has two connectors,
as that card allows connecting the phone to the end of the line via
one connector, and the connection to the wall is via the other connector.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/aonfocaleile/pcicard.jpg

If the thing looks like that, then the card is likely on the PCI bus.

Another form factor, is the audio modem riser slot, but I don't think
your motherboard has one of those.

In this photo, the short brown slot in the middle of the photo is an AMR slot.
It uses motherboard audio for the interface for the modem as far as I know.

http://www.maximopc.org/images/articulos/5/agppro.jpg

There is an example of an AMR card that plugs into that slot here.

http://www.abouterp.com/erpsystemswordsa/images/AMR.jpg

I don't know how an AMR is registered in the system, and
what you'd see in Device Manager for that.

Other means of connecting modems, are via external modems,
I have a USR external, and it connects via 9 pin RS232 cable,
to the back of the computer. Basically, that modem is connected
to a serial port. If my modem was switched off (which it is
right now), there is no way to detect it. My system remembers
that such a modem was connected though, so it is not completely
forgotten.

(Modem that connects to serial port.)

http://content.etilize.com/300/10005730.jpg

A modem can also be connected via a USB cable, and that would be
an external unit as well.

*******

OK, so you can use your eyes, and take a guess as to what kind of
modem you think it is. If the modem is "external" to the computer,
that should be easy to figure out. If the modem is internal to the
computer, it could be AMR or PCI based. For PCI, download and install
this.

Everest Free Edition (from Lavalys)
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Install it, and then run the tool. Go to Devices:PCI Devices and
look through the list. Is there a modem shown there ? Are
there any items that say "NoDB". Things like that are not
recognized by the program, so it can't give a nice text
name to the product it sees. If your hardware is old enough,
the program should get most of it. Lavalys charges for their
latest software, so that version is the last completely free
version.

I don't hold out much hope of identifying the thing with a program,
so if you get bored with this approach, take the cover off the machine
and have a closer look at where that RJ-11 connector goes.

If the modem is an external device, and it is not longer connected,
that'll make it pretty hard to detect :-)

Paul