From: sgopus on
What version level is your operating system, I hope it's past service pack 2
it sounds as if TCPIP is not installed, as you do not show a LAN connection
installed.

From: Robert Macy on
On Mar 22, 2:53 pm, sgopus <sgo...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> What version level is your operating system, I hope it's past service pack 2
> it sounds as if TCPIP is  not installed, as you do not show a LAN connection
> installed.
>

> "Alex" wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply Paul, but as I had mentioned before in the Network
> > Connections control panel there is no icon, not even a "Local Area
> > Connection" There is nothing at all in my Network connections no icons at all.
>
> > "The most likely setting to work in WinXP, would be to open the
> > Network Connections control panel, select the one corresponding to
> > the Ethernet interface (mine is "Local Area Connection"). Holding the
> > mouse over the connection, brings up a balloon dialog the mentions
> > the brand of Ethernet chip providing that connection."

The original WinXP release had to have 'something' set manually in
order for WinXP installation to recognize modem.

I think it was the 'autodetect' feature, and must be done BEFORE
installing modem.

Sorry, don't remember, because I don't use the WinXP system

The group here will remember.
From: sgopus on
Your suggestion doesn't apply in this case, as she is not using a modem per
se, she is using her NIC to connect via DSL to the internet.