From: Alex on
Hey thanks for all your help, The first link you gave me with the SLI drivers
worked great and everything is running awesome. I appreciate all the help you
have provided me.

From: Alex on
scratch that it doesnt work... I installed the mobo driver and it still wont
detect the modem. My computer only has a slot for ethernet not the phone line
plug.My computer doesnt have a modem card I dont think? I installed the
ethernet driver and it still wont detect my internet... And I am not going to
lie that last post you added has me a little confused.
From: Paul on
Alex wrote:
> scratch that it doesnt work... I installed the mobo driver and it still wont
> detect the modem. My computer only has a slot for ethernet not the phone line
> plug.My computer doesnt have a modem card I dont think? I installed the
> ethernet driver and it still wont detect my internet... And I am not going to
> lie that last post you added has me a little confused.

Well, in one of my posts, I tried to give examples of modems. There are
a couple types that install inside the computer. There are a couple types
that install outside the computer. If the modem was a card installed inside
the computer, there would be an RJ-11 connector with a telephone icon next
to it.

If you had a dialup modem that was external, you unplugged it and put it
away, then after a new install of Windows, there would be no memory of
that modem.

As an example, I have an external modem. It is currently not connected.
Yet, if I run Everest, it mentions the name of the modem that used to be
connected. Now, if I was to reinstall the OS right now, then the next
time I run Everest, the modem would no longer be mentioned. I would
have to connect it, power it up, install the driver, and then I would
see it enumerated in the Everest output again.

Internal hardware is different, in the sense that it is always powered
as long as it is sitting in the computer. And then it is more likely
to show up in Device Manager, with an "!" next to the entry, if the
driver hasn't been installed yet. You can see some examples of messed
up stuff in this Device Manager picture.

(The yellow color, means trouble...)

http://i44.tinypic.com/22kpbd.png

When you install motherboard drivers, that will take care of the devices
right on the motherboard. If you've installed any cards in the expansion
slots, such as a video card, or an internal modem card, the driver for
that would come from another company and be a separate download or
installer CD.

I was hoping, by mentioning that there were internal and external types,
you'd remember where you used to connect the telephone line, in order
to use the dialup modem.

Paul
From: Bob I on
You never provided the fine people trying to help you with the name and
model of the modem. All you said was "bell modem", that could be almost
anything.

From: sgopus on
So with that said, you won't be able to detect a MODEM per se.
However having a NIC (Network interface card) means you may be looking in
the wrong direction. stop looking for the modem and look instead for your LAN
connection, I assume you have a constant on connection to the internet???
try this, open your control panel and look for the network connections icon,
let us know if you only have internet connection listed, this means you may
have to manually configure your internet connection.
You can try opening IE internet explorer and open tools, internet options,
and connections tab, choose the LAN settings and ensure the automatically
detect settings, let us know if this works.