From: gazzag on
On 6 Mar, 13:03, "Matthias Hoys" <a...(a)spam.com> wrote:

> I believe on Windoze the quotes are still needed!
>
> Matthias- Hide quoted text -

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>set ORACLE_SID=XXXXXXXX

C:\>sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Mar 8 10:57:03 2010

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

Session altered.

SYS(a)XXXXXXXX>

HTH

-g
From: gs on
John Hurley wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:47 am, "Chris Seidel" <csei...(a)arcor.de> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> In EM 9.2 you can find it under:
>>
>> Instance/Configuration and then the Recovery tab.
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/paa/obe-arc/html/Change_Arch_Mod...
>
> Okay then ... the "old old" EM ... I haven't used that one in a long
> time.
>
> The terminology people use gets a little confusing trying to sort out
> old EM from new OEM thru dbconsole from new OEM thru grid control ...

I hate the dbconsole - just in case you were wondering.. having a look
at Oracle SQL Developer for a quick & easy gui for checking things as I
speak - not too impressed (yet)
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 8, 6:16 pm, gs <g...(a)gs.com> wrote:

snip

> > Okay then  ... the "old old" EM ... I haven't used that one in a long
> > time.
>
> > The terminology people use gets a little confusing trying to sort out
> > old EM from new OEM thru dbconsole from new OEM thru grid control ...
>
> I hate the dbconsole - just in case you were wondering.. having a look
> at Oracle SQL Developer for a quick & easy gui for checking things as I
> speak - not too impressed (yet)

I am still a Toad user although that product has become kind of
bloated over the years. Our developers are using SQL Developer
because of the cost ( or lack thereof ).

Mladen made an excellent point here though ... when switching between
archive log modes you really want to do it outside of a GUI.

From: gs on
John Hurley wrote:
> On Mar 8, 6:16 pm, gs <g...(a)gs.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>>> Okay then ... the "old old" EM ... I haven't used that one in a long
>>> time.
>>> The terminology people use gets a little confusing trying to sort out
>>> old EM from new OEM thru dbconsole from new OEM thru grid control ...
>> I hate the dbconsole - just in case you were wondering.. having a look
>> at Oracle SQL Developer for a quick & easy gui for checking things as I
>> speak - not too impressed (yet)
>
> I am still a Toad user although that product has become kind of
> bloated over the years. Our developers are using SQL Developer
> because of the cost ( or lack thereof ).
>
> Mladen made an excellent point here though ... when switching between
> archive log modes you really want to do it outside of a GUI.

I always use command line for switching archive on/off - I will admit
using EM in 9i once just to see how well it worked, but I just feel much
more comfortable using command line rather than wondering if the GUI is
really doing something or just sitting there hung.

One thing I don't like about SQL developer is you need to be logged in
as the user whose schema you want to see, which is a pain when you want
to see tables from different schemas in the same session. Unless I am
missing something, the only way to do this in SD is disconnect/reconnect
From: gazzag on
On 9 Mar, 14:37, gs <g...(a)gs.com> wrote:
> I always use command line for switching archive on/off - I will admit
> using EM in 9i once just to see how well it worked, but I just feel much
> more comfortable using command line rather than wondering if the GUI is
> really doing something or just sitting there hung.
>
> One thing I don't like about SQL developer is you need to be logged in
> as the user whose schema you want to see, which is a pain when you want
> to see tables from different schemas in the same session. Unless I am
> missing something, the only way to do this in SD is disconnect/reconnect- Hide quoted text -

gs,

If you log into SQL*Developer as SYSTEM, you will see "Other Users" at
the bottom of your object browser tree. Expand this to see other
schemas.

HTH

-g