From: Chris Seidel on
Hi,

I connected to an Oracle 10.2 via Enterprise Manager (EM) as sysdba.
The checkbox to enable/disable Archivelog-Mode is disabled (grayed out).

Why?

Thank you!
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:24:20 +0100, Chris Seidel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I connected to an Oracle 10.2 via Enterprise Manager (EM) as sysdba. The
> checkbox to enable/disable Archivelog-Mode is disabled (grayed out).
>
> Why?
>
> Thank you!

You're a DBA 2.0? Not a problem. Database can only be switched between
archivelog and noarchivelog when it's mounted and not open. Also, it must
be shut down cleanly. So, at approximately 10:30 AM, do the following:

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
shutdown immediate
startup mount
alter database archivelog;
alter database open;

Being just an old DBA 1.0 hack, I dunno how to do that in EM.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: Chris Seidel on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:43:08 +0100, Mladen Gogala
<gogala.mladen(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Database can only be switched between
> archivelog and noarchivelog when it's mounted and not open. Also, it must
> be shut down cleanly.

Doing this via EM allows it to do this in "open mode" because when you set
the checkbox all the stuff (shutdown, startup, alter ...) is done for you
by the EM.

For an unknown reason this checkbox is grayed out on one system. All other
systems are working well with an enabled checkbox.
All these systems have an open database and are fully operational.

> sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
> shutdown immediate
> startup mount
> alter database archivelog;
> alter database open;

Yes of course. But the customer needs it via EM too.

> I dunno how to do that in EM.

But this was the question ;)

Thank you.
From: John Hurley on
On Mar 4, 7:24 am, "Chris Seidel" <csei...(a)arcor.de> wrote:

snip

> Hi,
>
> I connected to an Oracle 10.2 via Enterprise Manager (EM) as sysdba.
> The checkbox to enable/disable Archivelog-Mode is disabled (grayed out).
>
> Why?
>
> Thank you!

Which OEM?

I cannot even find the option ( so far ) to change it going thru the
screens in a 10.2.0.4 OEM database control type setup.

Is this grid control you are going thru or am I just not finding it on
the GUI screen?
From: Chris Seidel on
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:26:36 +0100, John Hurley
<johnbhurley(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Which OEM?
>
> I cannot even find the option ( so far ) to change it going thru the
> screens in a 10.2.0.4 OEM database control type setup.

Ah... it works with EM 9.2 on server 9.2.
The server where it does not work is 10.
Could this be the reason that with EM 9.2 one cannot change this option on
a V 10 server?

> Is this grid control you are going thru

No.

In EM 9.2 you can find it under:

Instance/Configuration and then the Recovery tab.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/paa/obe-arc/html/Change_Arch_Mode.htm#c