From: Pekka Numminen on
I tried to delete the partition on my external hard drive using Disk
Management in Computer Management. I got these two error messages:

"Logical Disk Manager: The request cannot be completed because the
volume is open or in use. It may be configured as a system, boot, or
pagefile volume, or, to hold a crashdump file."

"Disk Management: The partition <Partition name> (N:) Primary
partition is currently in use. To force the deletion of this
partition, click Yes. WARNING: Forcing a deletion might cause
unexpected errors in the application that is using this partition. Do
you want to continue?"

I clicked 'No' and opened Windows Explorer. I tried to remove the
directories called $AVG, AUTORUN, RECYCLER, System Volume Information,
and the file AUTORUN.INF from the partition. I got this error message:

"Error Deleting File or Folder: Cannot delete avgcchff.dat: It is
being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might
be using the file and try again."

Is AVG Free causing this error? If so, how can I end the AVG processes
in such way that they would not automatically start running again as
soon as I have ended them?
From: philo on
Pekka Numminen wrote:
> I tried to delete the partition on my external hard drive using Disk
> Management in Computer Management. I got these two error messages:
>
> "Logical Disk Manager: The request cannot be completed because the
> volume is open or in use. It may be configured as a system, boot, or
> pagefile volume, or, to hold a crashdump file."
>
> "Disk Management: The partition <Partition name> (N:) Primary
> partition is currently in use. To force the deletion of this
> partition, click Yes. WARNING: Forcing a deletion might cause
> unexpected errors in the application that is using this partition. Do
> you want to continue?"
>
> I clicked 'No' and opened Windows Explorer. I tried to remove the
> directories called $AVG, AUTORUN, RECYCLER, System Volume Information,
> and the file AUTORUN.INF from the partition. I got this error message:
>
> "Error Deleting File or Folder: Cannot delete avgcchff.dat: It is
> being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might
> be using the file and try again."
>
> Is AVG Free causing this error? If so, how can I end the AVG processes
> in such way that they would not automatically start running again as
> soon as I have ended them?

Next time you start your machine

do so with the drive disconnected

then connect it and do not access anything on the drive

go right to disk management and delete it