From: Jack Spratt on
I have 2003 Standard server with 40 users RDPing in. 2 weeks ago the server
crashed and one user got this message when she logged on:

"Internet Explorer cannot find the Active Desktop HTML file. This file is
needed for your Active Desktop. To turn off Active Desktop, click OK."

Her desktop then changed to show a white bar down the left hand side and
lost her quick launch toolbar. Everyone else was fine when they logged in.

Last night the server restarted to install a security update. This morning a
different user has had the exact same problem. So now I have 2 people with
this problem. All other users are fine.

Any suggestion as to where the Active Desktop HTML file is and if there is a
quick way of putting it back so the users can return to normal?

Thanks.
From: Ashwin Palekar [MS] on
Does this address the problem?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q193110/

From: Jack Spratt on
Not quite. There dosen't seem to be a mshtml.dll file on the 2003 server, but
it has given me more to look for. Thanks.

From: Jack Spratt on
Solved, at least for my needs.

Since I'm not using active desktop I went into the group policy and simply
disabled or enabled everything I needed to just to turn it completely off.
All three of the users were immediately returned to their old desktop. (I had
another user who encountered this same problem - no reason as far as I could
see.)

If I plan on using Active Desktop I'm going to have to read more on why
people were having this problem when nothing was changing on the system.

For the future.