From: T i m on
Hi All,

I'm trying to get a Freecom DTB-T USB stick working under Ubuntu 10.04
(or 9.10 or Mint 9RC for that matter).

They seem to find the stick and offer me a 'restricted driver' and
once I ok that it installs and the amber LED comes on on the stick.

I then install Kaffeine, note it sees the device as: 'WideView USB
DVB-T" and a scan brings up some channels.

However, when I choose a (any) channel it comes up with:

Cannot find demux plugin for MRL
"fifo:/home/tim/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/dvbpipe.m2t"

The tuner works ok under XP/Vista.

What have I missed please (in easy terms). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
From: chris on
On Fri, 07 May 2010 22:27:36 +0100, T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get a Freecom DTB-T USB stick working under Ubuntu 10.04
> (or 9.10 or Mint 9RC for that matter).
>
> They seem to find the stick and offer me a 'restricted driver' and
> once I ok that it installs and the amber LED comes on on the stick.
>
> I then install Kaffeine, note it sees the device as: 'WideView USB
> DVB-T" and a scan brings up some channels.
>
> However, when I choose a (any) channel it comes up with:
>
> Cannot find demux plugin for MRL
> "fifo:/home/tim/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/dvbpipe.m2t"
>
> The tuner works ok under XP/Vista.
>
> What have I missed please (in easy terms). ;-)

Searching the web, perchance?

These two top hits for "Cannot find demux plugin for MRL", seem pertinent:
http://forums.opensuse.org/get-help-here/multimedia/433592-kaffeine-no-demux-plugin.html
http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-231854--New:-Cannot-find-demux-plugin-for-MRL-td27994530.html

Also, why are using Kaffeine and not the default media player in Ubuntu
(Totem is it?), or are you Kubuntu instead?
From: T i m on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:36:13 +0100, chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 May 2010 22:27:36 +0100, T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm trying to get a Freecom DTB-T USB stick working under Ubuntu 10.04
>> (or 9.10 or Mint 9RC for that matter).
>>
>> They seem to find the stick and offer me a 'restricted driver' and
>> once I ok that it installs and the amber LED comes on on the stick.
>>
>> I then install Kaffeine, note it sees the device as: 'WideView USB
>> DVB-T" and a scan brings up some channels.
>>
>> However, when I choose a (any) channel it comes up with:
>>
>> Cannot find demux plugin for MRL
>> "fifo:/home/tim/.kde/share/apps/kaffeine/dvbpipe.m2t"
>>
>> The tuner works ok under XP/Vista.
>>
>> What have I missed please (in easy terms). ;-)
>
>Searching the web, perchance?

I thought I had.

>These two top hits for "Cannot find demux plugin for MRL", seem pertinent:
>http://forums.opensuse.org/get-help-here/multimedia/433592-kaffeine-no-demux-plugin.html

Yup, found that but nothing I read on there seemed to either apply or
work. And FWIW I can play DVD's ok.

>http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-231854--New:-Cannot-find-demux-plugin-for-MRL-td27994530.html

That looks promising, thanks.

>Also, why are using Kaffeine

Because I couldn't find anything on there that worked or looked like
working?

> and not the default media player in Ubuntu
>(Totem is it?),

See above.

> or are you Kubuntu instead?

Not that I know of ... "Ubuntu 10.04 (or 9.10 or Mint 9RC for that
matter)."

In the interim I installed a few other TV players (some I couldn't
because they were to involved, some just wouldn't run etc etc), one
being MeTv. I've just tried MeTV again and it seems to work (no idea
what's happened since the last time when it didn't) so there is some
hope! ;-)

Cheers, T i m