From: kena on
Windows Media Player's sound is fine. So are any sound files when I
click on them to play. The problem is when I attempt to use my sound
recorder program to record the sound from a video or any other source.
I get a file size, but no audio. Both my recorders were working
before I installed WMP 11 from the WPM 9 I had on my machine. I've
tried resetting things on my Realtek Audio Manager to no avail. I've
tried everything I could think of and failed. I know both of my audio
recorders, Perfect Audio Recorder and AD Audio Recorder, were working
fine before my WMP update.

I should explain that I had to reinstall Win XP Pro the other day.
Previously, I did have WMP 11 on my machine and the recorders did work
okay with WMP 11. When I reinstalled Windows XP Pro, It gave me WMP
9, that's why I had to download WPM 11 and install that again. This is
bummer problem. I like to strip the audio from music videos so I can
play them with the car's CD player. It's a real pain not to be able
to do this any longer. Yes - I have Googled and cannot find the
solution.
From: Gary Dingle on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 00:21:05 -0500, kena(a)nowhere_notevenhere.org
wrote:

>Windows Media Player's sound is fine. So are any sound files when I
>click on them to play. The problem is when I attempt to use my sound
>recorder program to record the sound from a video or any other source.
>I get a file size, but no audio. Both my recorders were working
>before I installed WMP 11 from the WPM 9 I had on my machine. I've
>tried resetting things on my Realtek Audio Manager to no avail. I've
>tried everything I could think of and failed. I know both of my audio
>recorders, Perfect Audio Recorder and AD Audio Recorder, were working
>fine before my WMP update.
>
>I should explain that I had to reinstall Win XP Pro the other day.
>Previously, I did have WMP 11 on my machine and the recorders did work
>okay with WMP 11. When I reinstalled Windows XP Pro, It gave me WMP
>9, that's why I had to download WPM 11 and install that again. This is
>bummer problem. I like to strip the audio from music videos so I can
>play them with the car's CD player. It's a real pain not to be able
>to do this any longer. Yes - I have Googled and cannot find the
>solution.
A friend recently had a problem like this where recording wouldn't
happen.
We re-installed the realtek driver & it fixed the problem.
He also has a problem where some sliders are greyed out ... we've
never been able to fix this one.
Cheers
Gary
From: kena on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:27:24 +1030, Gary Dingle
<garydingle(a)adam.com.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 00:21:05 -0500, kena(a)nowhere_notevenhere.org
>wrote:
>
>>Windows Media Player's sound is fine. So are any sound files when I
>>click on them to play. The problem is when I attempt to use my sound
>>recorder program to record the sound from a video or any other source.
>>I get a file size, but no audio. Both my recorders were working
>>before I installed WMP 11 from the WPM 9 I had on my machine. I've
>>tried resetting things on my Realtek Audio Manager to no avail. I've
>>tried everything I could think of and failed. I know both of my audio
>>recorders, Perfect Audio Recorder and AD Audio Recorder, were working
>>fine before my WMP update.
>>
>>I should explain that I had to reinstall Win XP Pro the other day.
>>Previously, I did have WMP 11 on my machine and the recorders did work
>>okay with WMP 11. When I reinstalled Windows XP Pro, It gave me WMP
>>9, that's why I had to download WPM 11 and install that again. This is
>>bummer problem. I like to strip the audio from music videos so I can
>>play them with the car's CD player. It's a real pain not to be able
>>to do this any longer. Yes - I have Googled and cannot find the
>>solution.
>A friend recently had a problem like this where recording wouldn't
>happen.
>We re-installed the realtek driver & it fixed the problem.
>He also has a problem where some sliders are greyed out ... we've
>never been able to fix this one.
>Cheers
>Gary

Well, it was a good logical choice, but it didn't help at all. This
is driving me buggy. I've went over every dang audio setting on this
box and keep coming up with the same dang result: No recordings. I
wonder if voodoo would work? I wonder if they list that type of
practitioner in the white pages or the yellow pages?

Anyway, thanks for trying.
From: Gary Dingle on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 05:49:37 -0500, kena(a)nowhere_notevenhere.org
wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:27:24 +1030, Gary Dingle
><garydingle(a)adam.com.au> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 00:21:05 -0500, kena(a)nowhere_notevenhere.org
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Windows Media Player's sound is fine. So are any sound files when I
>>>click on them to play. The problem is when I attempt to use my sound
>>>recorder program to record the sound from a video or any other source.
>>>I get a file size, but no audio. Both my recorders were working
>>>before I installed WMP 11 from the WPM 9 I had on my machine. I've
>>>tried resetting things on my Realtek Audio Manager to no avail. I've
>>>tried everything I could think of and failed. I know both of my audio
>>>recorders, Perfect Audio Recorder and AD Audio Recorder, were working
>>>fine before my WMP update.
>>>
>>>I should explain that I had to reinstall Win XP Pro the other day.
>>>Previously, I did have WMP 11 on my machine and the recorders did work
>>>okay with WMP 11. When I reinstalled Windows XP Pro, It gave me WMP
>>>9, that's why I had to download WPM 11 and install that again. This is
>>>bummer problem. I like to strip the audio from music videos so I can
>>>play them with the car's CD player. It's a real pain not to be able
>>>to do this any longer. Yes - I have Googled and cannot find the
>>>solution.
>>A friend recently had a problem like this where recording wouldn't
>>happen.
>>We re-installed the realtek driver & it fixed the problem.
>>He also has a problem where some sliders are greyed out ... we've
>>never been able to fix this one.
>>Cheers
>>Gary
>
>Well, it was a good logical choice, but it didn't help at all. This
>is driving me buggy. I've went over every dang audio setting on this
>box and keep coming up with the same dang result: No recordings. I
>wonder if voodoo would work? I wonder if they list that type of
>practitioner in the white pages or the yellow pages?
>
>Anyway, thanks for trying.
Have you checked in the driver window (the record section) that the
mute button for the input device you are taking audio from, hasn't
been turned on?
From: kena on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 23:39:39 +1030, Gary Dingle
<garydingle(a)adam.com.au> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 05:49:37 -0500, kena(a)nowhere_notevenhere.org
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:27:24 +1030, Gary Dingle
>><garydingle(a)adam.com.au> wrote:

>>>A friend recently had a problem like this where recording wouldn't
>>>happen.
>>>We re-installed the realtek driver & it fixed the problem.
>>>He also has a problem where some sliders are greyed out ... we've
>>>never been able to fix this one.
>>>Cheers
>>>Gary
>>
>>Well, it was a good logical choice, but it didn't help at all. This
>>is driving me buggy. I've went over every dang audio setting on this
>>box and keep coming up with the same dang result: No recordings. I
>>wonder if voodoo would work? I wonder if they list that type of
>>practitioner in the white pages or the yellow pages?
>>
>>Anyway, thanks for trying.
>Have you checked in the driver window (the record section) that the
>mute button for the input device you are taking audio from, hasn't
>been turned on?

I found the problem. It was in the settings of the recording utility
I'm using - AD Recorder

I clicked on the RECORDING control in AD Recorder icon in AD Recorder

Set it to RECORDING. How in the h--- did I miss that? Too many dang
audio controls in Windows, Realtek, the recording utility, plus I
think there are some others. (I ain't taking *all* the blame, dang
it!)

I ticked the 5 volume Controls on the same AD open menu page

In the Recording Control menu it shows the following columns:
Recording
CD Volume
Mic Volume
Line Volume
Stero Mix

I checked them all, I muted all except the RECORDING and STERO MIX
options.

Done - finally!!

Thanks for hanging in there. Misery *does* like company. :o)