From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

> He wants you to add the FC3 LVM to your FC5 LVM volume group, I would
> advice against this before you have rescued the data you want to keep
> and cleaned the hard drive of data, as there could be risk with double
> data and you won't know which file be used, the one from FC3 or FC5
> and your system could fail badly.

Agreed. Thank you.

--
~Ohmster
theohmster at comcast dot net
From: Bit Twister on
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:08:39 +0000 (UTC), Ohmster wrote:

> There are only a few hours left in the weekend, what to do now. Unplug
> the FC3 disk, reinstall FC5 on the new disk and look for an option that
> will not install LVM?

I picked custom or manual or some such option when I installed fc5 on
my multi-boot system. That allowd me to make partitions for fc5. I
picked ext3 for new partition creation and created mount points for
the others.

grep LABEL etc/fstab
LABEL=/fc5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/2006 /2006 ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/2006oe /2006oe ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/accounts /accounts ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/kubuntu /kubuntu ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/free_9b /free_9b ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/local/opt /local/opt ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/site /site ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/ubuntu /ubuntu ext3 defaults 1 2
From: Ohmster on
Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote in

> I picked custom or manual or some such option when I installed fc5 on
> my multi-boot system. That allowd me to make partitions for fc5. I
> picked ext3 for new partition creation and created mount points for
> the others.
>
> grep LABEL etc/fstab
> LABEL=/fc5 / ext3 defaults
> 1 1 LABEL=/2006 /2006 ext3 defaults
> 1 2 LABEL=/2006oe /2006oe ext3
> defaults 1 2 LABEL=/accounts /accounts
> ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/kubuntu /kubuntu
> ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/free_9b /free_9b
> ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/local/opt
> /local/opt ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/site
> /site ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/tmp
> /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
> LABEL=/ubuntu /ubuntu ext3 defaults
> 1 2

That's good to know bit. I think that the worst of the worst has
happened. I was looking at logical volume groups in webmin and tried to
make a new one, from my /dev/hdb2 partition. I started the process and
noticed at the bottome "all data will be lost" and quickly stopped the
process.

I then halted the system, connected my FC3 drive, booted, and kept my
fingers crossed. Kernel panic. No linux partions found. I can see with
fdisk -l /dev/hdb that the partitions are still there, and partition 2 is
an lvm volume, but how to access it now. That was all my stuff,
everything that I had saved! <sob!>

Looks like I am commited now to FC5 and have no choice but to move ahead.
I did try to rename the FC3 lvm to VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00 like
it was and got a device busy result. Now when I go back into webmin and
check logical volume managment, I can see two volume groups, 00 and 01
and 01 is on /dev/hdb2, my old FC3 install! I see that there is one
physical volume present, /dev/hdb2 and it is 190Gb in size, that is it,
my FC3 install. But over in the Logical Volumes, the group has no logical
volumes yet. I know that the volume is there, I just screwed it up but
how to get it back? I really, really need this badly and am afraid to
lose it altogether. There has to be a way to recover this logical volume
somehow, at least it has a different volume group now, 01 instead of the
00 that the current system resides on.

Oh man somebody help. Bit, where can I post for help with this? Are there
any good newsgroups for linux volume group recovery?

From: noi on
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:03:51 +0000, Ohmster wrote this:

> Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote in
>
>> I picked custom or manual or some such option when I installed fc5 on my
>> multi-boot system. That allowd me to make partitions for fc5. I picked
>> ext3 for new partition creation and created mount points for the others.
>>
>> grep LABEL etc/fstab
>> LABEL=/fc5 / ext3 defaults
>> 1 1 LABEL=/2006 /2006 ext3 defaults
>> 1 2 LABEL=/2006oe /2006oe ext3
>> defaults 1 2 LABEL=/accounts /accounts ext3 defaults
>> 1 2 LABEL=/kubuntu /kubuntu
>> ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/free_9b /free_9b
>> ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/local/opt
>> /local/opt ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/site
>> /site ext3 defaults 1 2 LABEL=/tmp
>> /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
>> LABEL=/ubuntu /ubuntu ext3 defaults
>> 1 2
>
> That's good to know bit. I think that the worst of the worst has happened.
> I was looking at logical volume groups in webmin and tried to make a new
> one, from my /dev/hdb2 partition. I started the process and noticed at the
> bottome "all data will be lost" and quickly stopped the process.
>
> I then halted the system, connected my FC3 drive, booted, and kept my
> fingers crossed. Kernel panic. No linux partions found. I can see with
> fdisk -l /dev/hdb that the partitions are still there, and partition 2 is
> an lvm volume, but how to access it now. That was all my stuff, everything
> that I had saved! <sob!>
>
> Looks like I am commited now to FC5 and have no choice but to move ahead.
> I did try to rename the FC3 lvm to VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00 like
> it was and got a device busy result. Now when I go back into webmin and
> check logical volume managment, I can see two volume groups, 00 and 01 and
> 01 is on /dev/hdb2, my old FC3 install! I see that there is one physical
> volume present, /dev/hdb2 and it is 190Gb in size, that is it, my FC3
> install. But over in the Logical Volumes, the group has no logical volumes
> yet. I know that the volume is there, I just screwed it up but how to get
> it back? I really, really need this badly and am afraid to lose it
> altogether. There has to be a way to recover this logical volume somehow,
> at least it has a different volume group now, 01 instead of the 00 that
> the current system resides on.
>
> Oh man somebody help. Bit, where can I post for help with this? Are there
> any good newsgroups for linux volume group recovery?

Man of man. First thing you should do is before upgrade is backup
important stuff first.
$ Tar -xzcf ~/lessthan_DVDsize.tar.gz /abunchofdirectoriesunder4gig

K3b ~/lessthan_DVDsize.tar.gz files to a couple of DVD-RWs

Second do not panic.
With FC3 as the primary system, boot from the FC5 DVD

boot: linux rescue
# you get the prompt

$ chroot /mnt/sysimage

$ ls ~

# you should still see your data

If you can see your data then you can disconnect the FC3
and reinstall FC5 without the LVM.

Like I said go through the manual
create partition menu and delete the Logical Volume partitioning.

Then you should at least have one partition for /

Then complete the FC5 installation.

After that completes you should be able to reconnect the FC3 drive
$ mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/fc3sys

$ cp -a /mnt/fc3sys/home/Ohmster /home

$ cp -a /mnt/fc3sys/usr/(directories not already on FC5) /usr

After you've cp'd all the data to the FC5 system

My FC5 installation wouldn't create a swap partition but it's ok you don't
need one and you can dd a swapfile, mkswap and swapon if you need one
later. Like LVM nice but not necessary for low user systems.

I'd disconnect the FC3 drive, reboot to make sure the FC5 has everything
and works properly.

Then you can do what you want with the FC3 drive and even "dread" install
LVM on both drives.

As soon as I figure out how to install my second hd in this pc without
removing the cpu fan, I plan to use LVM.

I think using Webmin instead of commandline LVM commands you inadvertently
ran pvcreate on hdb1 which I mentioned you should not do. Perhaps I
should have said never run LVM create anything on hdb?

From: Ohmster on
noi <noi(a)siam.com> wrote in news:EeXTg.6607$TV3.5327
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

> Second do not panic.
> With FC3 as the primary system, boot from the FC5 DVD
>
> boot: linux rescue
> # you get the prompt
>
> $ chroot /mnt/sysimage
>
> $ ls ~
>
> # you should still see your data
>
> If you can see your data then you can disconnect the FC3
> and reinstall FC5 without the LVM.

No can do. When I try that, the rescue disc scans for Fedora installations
and does not find any, therefore it does not mount any. Examining the
logical volume group with the xwindows LVM tool shows that it is present on
/dev/hdb2, which is correct, and it has a different name now, VolGroup01.
The physical view shows 189Gb of space which is correct. The logical view
shows all of that space as free. Now I know that all my files are still
there, the darned thing did not run long enough to erase all of the files,
but something happened to the logical drive and now all the space is marked
as "Free" with no files present. Bummer.

I gotta find some way to bring them back.