From: noi on
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 20:26:04 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote this:

> noi wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you can't mount the hdb2 now on FC5? I mean case closed if
>> you can mount FC3 on FC5
>>
>> root@ $ mount -t ext3 -o ro,defaults /dev/hdb2 /mnt/fc3sys
>
> Thats not possible, you need to use the LVM device name and not the device
> name of the slice where the LVM is located.
>

> //Aho

Probably but IRC the OP said the LVM on /dev/hdb (FC3) was overlaid or
corrupted. So will it hurt to try?

Of course he can try using the LVM commands to mount the FC3 logical
volume on /dev/hdb.

Were it me I would try deactivating LVM $ vgchange -an
then mount the FC3 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/sysfc3
copy my files, verify
then activate LVM $ vgchange -ay
From: J.O. Aho on
noi wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 20:26:04 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote this:
>
>> noi wrote:
>>
>>> Are you sure you can't mount the hdb2 now on FC5? I mean case closed if
>>> you can mount FC3 on FC5
>>>
>>> root@ $ mount -t ext3 -o ro,defaults /dev/hdb2 /mnt/fc3sys
>> Thats not possible, you need to use the LVM device name and not the device
>> name of the slice where the LVM is located.

> Probably but IRC the OP said the LVM on /dev/hdb (FC3) was overlaid or
> corrupted. So will it hurt to try?

As the data there is LVM, it won't work, just take a look at his first post,
there is a lot higher chance to be able to mount the /boot as vfat.

> Were it me I would try deactivating LVM $ vgchange -an
> then mount the FC3 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/sysfc3

deactivating the LVM won't in a magical way change the slice data

//Aho
From: Ohmster on
noi <noi(a)siam.com> wrote in

[snip]

> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>
> /dev/hdb1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
>
> /dev/hdb2 14 24792 199037317+ 8e Linux LVM
>
> [root(a)ohmster ~]#
>>

> snip
>> You know, knoppix might not be a bad idea. I will try it later, have
>> to go to work now.
>>
> Yeah but make sure you don't change file permissions, uids, gids on
> either FC3 or FC5. Major headaches if that happens..
>>
> snip
>>
>> I hear ya.
>>
> snip
>> Will try that when I get home later. Thanks for the advice.
>
> You can see the hdb partitions using fdisk on FC5
> Are you sure you can't mount the hdb2 now on FC5?
> I mean case closed if you can mount FC3 on FC5
>
> root@ $ mount -t ext3 -o ro,defaults /dev/hdb2 /mnt/fc3sys

[root(a)ohmster mnt]# mount -t ext3 -o ro,defaults /dev/hdb2 /mnt/old_sys
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb2,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

[root(a)ohmster mnt]#

No, it does not work.

> I didn't mention it first because using
> $ vgextend volgroup /dev/hdb2
> should have added FC3 as an extension to your FC5 volgroup
> but you should be able to turn off lvm vgchange -an.
>
> $ man vgchange
>
> root@ $ vgchange -an # turns off lvm
>
> root@ $ shutdown -r now
>
> root@ $ mount -t ext3 -o ro,defaults /dev/hdb2 /mnt/sysfc3
>
> root@ $ cp -a /mnt/sysfc3/whatever /home/whatever
>
> root@ $ vgchange -an # turns lvm back on
>
> root@ $ shutdown -r now

I do not know if all that will work because my current file system is
also LVM.

[root(a)ohmster mnt]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
187117284 4303304 173155612 3% /
/dev/hda1 101086 14122 81745 15% /boot
tmpfs 777820 0 777820 0% /dev/shm
[root(a)ohmster mnt]#

I will try it though, as well as try knoppix to see if the disk will
mount. I think that webmin destroyed the FAT for the drive if there is
such a thing with LVM. What I did had not taken enough time to delete all
the files but now the files are no longer accessible. It may be time to
consider hard drive recovery now, even though fdisk says that the
partitions are intact and still as a LMV file system.

[root(a)ohmster mnt]# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 203.9 GB, 203928109056 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

--
~Ohmster
theohmster at comcast dot net
From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in news:4oe6heFe14qbU1(a)individual.net:

> deactivating the LVM won't in a magical way change the slice data
>

> //Aho

Dam! :(

From: Bit Twister on
On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 01:12:47 +0000 (UTC), Ohmster wrote:

> [root(a)ohmster mnt]# mount -t ext3 -o ro,defaults /dev/hdb2 /mnt/old_sys
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb2,

Last chance attempt I would try
mount -t auto /dev/hdb2 /mnt/old_sys