From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> noi <noi(a)siam.com> wrote in news:dLLTg.10191$6S3.7321
> @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:
>
>> Hard time following what you've done. All I see is one 200GB HD
>> /dev/hdb1 as a FC5 LVM Are you mount /dev/hda as you old drive are
> you
>> adding /dev/hdb to the LVM volume group? Have you reviewed the
> command
>> set for LVM and FAQs at FC5 or LVM web sites?
>
> I want to mount /dev/hdb2, that is where the LVM is located, containing
> my original FC3 installation. That is what I am unable to do. /dev/hda is
> the current FC5 installation, is active, and is visible.

As I already have pointed out, you don't mount the /dev/hdb2

mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/old_system

See to create the /mnt/old_system or mount it to some other location.

//Aho
From: Ohmster on
"J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in

> When you bott into FC3, do a df, then you should see the device name
> of the LVM you are using.
FC3 Only

[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
193877500 39009672 145019408 22% /
/dev/hda1 101086 29651 66216 31% /boot
none 777868 0 777868 0% /dev/shm
[ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$
FC5 - With old FC3 as /dev/hdb present on system

[root(a)ohmster ~]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
187117284 4262884 173196032 3% /
/dev/hda1 101086 14122 81745 15% /boot
tmpfs 777820 0 777820 0% /dev/shm
[root(a)ohmster ~]#

The problem is that they both have the same name! That is the default
Fedora installation. In FC5, /dev/mapper only shows the current volume
group, the old one on hdb does not even show up.

> In this example it's /dev/mapper/lvmroot, this is the device you have
> to use and not /dev/hdb2 when you boot into FC5 and have the FC3 drive
> as a hdb.
>
> If you don't get that device when you booted into FC5, then the
> problem is that the LVM hasn't been activated during bootup, then take
> a look at this page: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/activatevgs.html
> (you can run vgdisplay without any options when you boot into FC3 and
> get the name of the volume group, "VG Name mylvms", then
> in FC5 run "vgchange -a y mylvms").

[root(a)ohmster ~]# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name VolGroup00
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 3
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 2
Open LV 2
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 189.81 GB
PE Size 32.00 MB
Total PE 6074
Alloc PE / Size 6073 / 189.78 GB
Free PE / Size 1 / 32.00 MB
VG UUID 3agBFX-D3N0-Bp3c-I7se-JVLY-ZIIa-fqMcIF

[root(a)ohmster ~]#

That is FC3. So then:

# vgchange -a y my_volume_group

Would become

# vgchange -a y VolGroup00

I cannot do that because that is the name of the current volume group
that FC5 has chosen for the system. So there are two VolGroup00
partitions, one is the current and active FC5 partition and the other one
is the old /dev/hdb volume group. :(

How can I get that old drive to mount?

> But I don't see the point why you have been using LVM on a lone
> harddrive, you don't gain anything by that, the gains are when you LVM
> togehter more harddrives or split up a harddrive into many smaller
> LVMs (then you easier can move space to the slice you need it at).

Agreed. That is the default Fedora installation style now. It does not
seem to have any benefits over just a regular ext2 or ext3 partition and
why the hell I am stuck in VG hell is beyond me now. This reminds me of
the old days when DOS 6 and Win 3.1 ruled, when RAM and hard disk space
were at super premium prices, and Windows offered "doublespace" as a way
to stretch your hard drive dollar. Yeah I converted to doublespace, only
to find out that now my hard drive was one, super big file. And then I
had a teeny, tiny disk error, no big deal otherwise, but because it was a
single doublspace drive, the entire hard drive was ruined. No more
doublespace for me!

What now Batman, how can I get at my old FC3 drive while booted into FC5?

> //Aho

Thanks Aho.

--
~Ohmster
theohmster at comcast dot net
From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in
>
>> When you boot into FC3, do a df, then you should see the device name
>> of the LVM you are using.
> FC3 Only
>
> [ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$ df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> 193877500 39009672 145019408 22% /
> /dev/hda1 101086 29651 66216 31% /boot
> none 777868 0 777868 0% /dev/shm
> [ohmster(a)ohmster ~]$
> FC5 - With old FC3 as /dev/hdb present on system
>
> [root(a)ohmster ~]# df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> 187117284 4262884 173196032 3% /
> /dev/hda1 101086 14122 81745 15% /boot
> tmpfs 777820 0 777820 0% /dev/shm
> [root(a)ohmster ~]#

As they have the same name, you will run into trouble all the time, you need
to rename one of them, in your case I would pick the FC3, think you need to
boot into it, or even better disconnect hda and boot with the FC5 CD1 into
rescue mode and

umount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
lvrename /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01

turn off your computer and then hook back your hda and boot, and then you
should be able to mount the old FC3 with

mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 /mnt/old_system

In case that just switch the logical volume name don't help, then read the man
page for vgrename too (man vgrename) and switch the name of the volume group too.

another option is to reinstall FC5 (destroy the slices on it before from FC3),
hook the new harddrive as hda and the old one as hdb, in the partition tool
see to not include anything of hdb to the new install (DON'T LET FEDORA
AUTOMATICALLY SLICE YOUR HARD DRIVERS). This should fix the name conflict too.

> The problem is that they both have the same name! That is the default
> Fedora installation.

Seems RedHat got even more crazy since I quite using their products. You can
always select manually to use standard slices instead of LVM, at least if you
choose to use fdisk.

//Aho
From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:

> Look all the way at the bottom. The dude is saying that because both of
> the logical volume groups have the same name, it would be impossible to
> mount them both. When I try his suggestion:
>
> vgscan
> vgchange --available y
>
> It does not help, it only shows the current LVM groups as they are.

Of course it don't, as they have the same name and in worst case you could
rename both of the at the same time too.

> I am at a loss as to what to do. I really wish that I did not install
> Fedora as an LVM now because of all this trouble.

You need to have only one of them connected to the machine (FC5 in your case)
and from rescue mode (type rescue on the boot prompt when you boot from the
CD1 or DVD) do the renaming.

//Aho
From: J.O. Aho on
Ohmster wrote:
> noi <noi(a)siam.com> wrote in

>> $ vgextend /dev/VolGroup00_group /dev/hdb1
>>
>> adds /dev/hdb1 to you logical volume group on hda
>> also because there is a lvgroup and partition on hdb "you don't run
>> pvcreate."
>>

> I don't really understand the above in what you are saying but am trying to
> learn it. Thanks for your help noi.

He wants you to add the FC3 LVM to your FC5 LVM volume group, I would advice
against this before you have rescued the data you want to keep and cleaned the
hard drive of data, as there could be risk with double data and you won't know
which file be used, the one from FC3 or FC5 and your system could fail badly.

//Aho