From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:59:16 -0500, Randall Allen wrote:

> I'm still wondering why only this machine of 3 has a problem.

If Eudora same and mail same (reinstall Eudora?),
then must be environment --
how about exactly what AV is not only installed,
but turned on, and which options are on?

How about with brand new, clean mail folder?

Could there even be any malware running in it,
doing something to files? DRM? (Sony rootkit?)

If your own "webmail" does not give you the *original*
item to look at, directly as on the POP server,
then http://mail2web.com can also do that.

Still don't see any explicit hint of what content
is causing, or suspected of causing (or maybe
it's unrelated to content, just to AV or malware?)

Wish you good luck.

From: Randall Allen on
On Sun, 20 May 2007 09:47:49 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:59:16 -0500, Randall Allen wrote:
>
>> I'm still wondering why only this machine of 3 has a problem.
>
>If Eudora same and mail same (reinstall Eudora?),
>then must be environment --

That is my thinking at this point, but I haven't figured out what
Eudora is sensitive to in the environment.

>how about exactly what AV is not only installed,
>but turned on, and which options are on?

Grisoft's AVG is running with the Eudora Plugin. I downloaded and
reinstalled it too. I'm downloading TrendMicro's progam to see if
that makes a difference.

>How about with brand new, clean mail folder?

Tried that with the same symptom.

>Could there even be any malware running in it,
>doing something to files? DRM? (Sony rootkit?)

Doubt it. I run SpySweeper in addition to AVG.

>If your own "webmail" does not give you the *original*
>item to look at, directly as on the POP server,
>then http://mail2web.com can also do that.

It is exactly the same account and the webmail contents disappear
after Eudora downloads its messages.

>Still don't see any explicit hint of what content
>is causing, or suspected of causing (or maybe
>it's unrelated to content, just to AV or malware?)

I can't see anything yet.

>Wish you good luck.

Thanks. It will be an interesting combination of another product's
influence on Eudora and Eudora's inability to handle it gracefully or
report the problem clearly. Most error messages tend to be useful
only to the developers. Years ago in the DOS days I wrote code for my
brother's plumbing business. I finally changed the cryptic error
message associated with the printer being out of paper to a reminder
to check the paper. My phone calls diminished quite a bit.

I'll let everyone know what fixes it, assuming it gets fixed.
From: Randall Allen on
Well, the latest symptom after removing AVG from the system is that
Eudora won't get past the splash screen. The most recent log file has
the following text in it:

Tue May 22 22:26:16 2007
Version 7.0.1.0
LogLevel 25759 (0x649F)
Mode 2
MAIN 16: 0.00 Building mailbox '' table of contents
MAIN 8: 0.05 Dialog: "Could not open the file \110\132\022 for
writing\r\n"
MAIN 8: 0.05 Dialog: "\r\n"
MAIN 8: 0.05 Dialog: "Cause: The request contains an invalid
argument. (22)"
MAIN 8: 0.08 Dialog: "Dismissed with 1"

Tue May 22 22:27:18 2007
Version 7.0.1.0
LogLevel 25759 (0x649F)
Mode 2
MAIN 8: 0.00 Dialog: "Could not open the file \110\132\022 for
writing\r\n"
MAIN 8: 0.00 Dialog: "\r\n"
MAIN 8: 0.00 Dialog: "Cause: The request contains an invalid
argument. (22)"
MAIN 8: 0.01 Dialog: "Dismissed with 1"

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 22 May 2007 22:30:31 -0500, Randall Allen wrote:

> Well, the latest symptom after removing AVG from the system
> is that Eudora won't get past the splash screen.
> The most recent log file has:

> Mode 2
> MAIN 16: 0.00 Building mailbox '' table of contents
> MAIN 8: 0.05 Dialog: "Could not open the file \110\132\022 for
> writing\r\n"
> MAIN 8: 0.05 Dialog: "\r\n"
> MAIN 8: 0.05 Dialog: "Cause: The request contains an invalid
> argument. (22)"

Purely random thoughts, FWIW:

Is that a "null" mailbox name?

Did AVG leave a Eudora plugin in either your programs or data folder?

Do you also use Zone Alarm, or is their any other anti-virus product
simultaneously installed?

Wishing Eudora a speedy recovery, from whatever ails it.

From: Bob Smith on
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:39:52 -0500, Randall Allen
<allen_randall(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>A few days ago one of my computers started reporting errors with each
>message. For a couple of days Eudora claimed too many files were
>open. That stopped when the behavior worsened. I renamed the
>Attachments folder and removed duplicates in the Embedded folder.
>Another machine collects the same data stream with no problems.
>
>Messages do come in, but their contents and attachments are missing.
>The error sequence for each message is as follows:
>
>Could not open file {garbaged name} for writing
>Request contains an invalid argument.
>
>Could not open file for writing
>Cause: No such file or directory exists (2)
>
>Could not read from file
>Cause: File or device is read only or no longer open (9)
>
>Could not delete file
>File or device is read only or file no longer open (9)
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had a similar problem with AVG Free at a clients home. Everything
was working correctly but all of a sudden he started receiving E-mails
without attachments, without embedded pictures, without hyperlinks,
etc. Everything was stripped, just the written part of the email was
viewable.

I contacted AVG forums and found no help. So, I tried the 'old try
and true method', I did a repair install with Windows XP Pro. After
the repair install was completed and all updates installed everything
worked perfectly, all the attachments were being recieved, embedded,
urls, eveything,.

Like I said, I couldn't find anything from AVG and nothing on google,
etc, so I did the std fix, and it fixed the problem..

Bob Smith
Robert Smith consulting