From: Randall Allen on
Bob,

Thanks for the tips. I went in about that same direction with no
luck. I didn't have the familiar repair option on this machine
because my XP Pro disk was an upgrade disk. But, I "upgraded" over
the previous installation. The symptoms are the same except Eudora
thinks it is in the sponsored mode right now. It still reports the
error even though I've searched the accounts and such for any buffers
it might want to reprocess.

I installed a SMART disk monitor. It says the disk is fine and of
course I had checked for errors and defragged it to see if working in
a difference place made a difference.

AVG is not installed right now since my servers perform virus checking
anyway. If the cause is ever known it will be a subtle problem.

I'm wondering if it has a configuration problem that did not appear
until something else occurred.

From: Randall Allen on
On Wed, 23 May 2007 00:59:32 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

All good thoughts....

>Purely random thoughts, FWIW:
>
>Is that a "null" mailbox name?

Don't think so.

>Did AVG leave a Eudora plugin in either your programs or data folder?

I renamed any artifact folders so they couldn't be found.

>Do you also use Zone Alarm, or is their any other anti-virus product
>simultaneously installed?

Just Zone Alarm by itself. I hear their current AV tool is a huge
performance problem. I tried it anyway, and it was.

>Wishing Eudora a speedy recovery, from whatever ails it.

Me too! I would like to get back to my original annoyances like not
focusing on the most recent message in a mailbox and never marking a
message read. I could live with those problems.
From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 31 May 2007 19:48:19 -0500, Randall Allen wrote:

> AVG... Zone Alarm...

The only sure way to test whether these contribute to the problem
would be to turn them off for a bit, while Eudora is the only
program in use (and with "use MS viewer" disabled).

Files modified by Eudora will be in the mail data folder,
so one can always do an AV scan afterwards, on that folder;
one also has a Windows firewall (XP or later) to fall back on,
while giving ZA a rest.

If it's a Windows fault, then of course it won't go away
until Windows gets fixed. It's most unfortunate that
we don't have those Star Trek devices which you just
wave over something, and they tell you exactly
what's wrong, where it is, and how to fix it :)

From: Randall Allen on
Well,

There has been progress.

After "uprading" XP over itself nothing changed except some thing such
as ZoneAlarm and AVG quit working. That wasn't much of an issue from
the testing perspective. Anyway, Eudora continued to misbehave. After
a bit I decided to reinstall an older version (6.X) of Eudora to see
if that altered the behavior in any way. It did. Eudora complained
about the AVG kernal, but the message was garbled. After that one
complaint, it started downloading messages normally.

That created a bit of a dilema with respect to the system. AVG didn't
want to reinstall, presumably due to an artifact from the previous
installation. I'm doing an image restore from a couple of weeks ago,
which has been underway for about 8 hours. After that is finished,
I'll reinstall the older version of Eudora to see what happens.

On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:16:38 -0500, "John H Meyers"

From: Randall Allen on
Well, the culprit is identified.

It is Grisoft's AVG product. I've used it for years with no problem.
But around the end of April the problem started on only one of my
machines. After upgrading XP Pro again (repair option missing), I
downloaded several thousand e-mail messages before I shut Eudora down
to reinstall AVG. It had been lost in the upgrade. As soon as Eudora
started working again, The problem repeated itself. Turning it off
made no difference. I uninstalled AVG and finished downloading my
mail with no problem. Now I have to pick a replacement virus scanner.

On Sat, 19 May 2007 22:09:07 GMT, Randall Allen