From: Randall Allen on
A few days ago one of my computers started reporting errors with each
message. For a couple of days Eudora claimed too many files were
open. That stopped when the behavior worsened. I renamed the
Attachments folder and removed duplicates in the Embedded folder.
Another machine collects the same data stream with no problems.

Messages do come in, but their contents and attachments are missing.
The error sequence for each message is as follows:

Could not open file {garbaged name} for writing
Request contains an invalid argument.

Could not open file for writing
Cause: No such file or directory exists (2)

Could not read from file
Cause: File or device is read only or no longer open (9)

Could not delete file
File or device is read only or file no longer open (9)

Any ideas would be appreciated.
From: Dale E. Coy on

"Randall Allen" <allen_randall(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago one of my computers started reporting errors with each
> message. For a couple of days Eudora claimed too many files were
> open. That stopped when the behavior worsened. I renamed the
> Attachments folder and removed duplicates in the Embedded folder.
> Another machine collects the same data stream with no problems.
>
> Messages do come in, but their contents and attachments are missing.
> The error sequence for each message is as follows:
>
> Could not open file {garbaged name} for writing
> Request contains an invalid argument.
>
> Could not open file for writing
> Cause: No such file or directory exists (2)
>
> Could not read from file
> Cause: File or device is read only or no longer open (9)
>
> Could not delete file
> File or device is read only or file no longer open (9)
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

One possibility is a problem with the file structure on the disk drive where
Eudora is installed.
Try using Chkdsk, and see if the situation changes.

Typically: Click on Start, Click on Run, put the characters "cmd" (without
the quotes) in the
box, and click OK.

Then (assuming Eudora is on your C drive) type:
chkdsk c: /f --- and press return. You'll probably be asked if you
want
the drive checked at the next boot. Say yes, and then reboot.

Note: you could (preferably) type chkdsk c: /r

This may not be the problem - but it won't break anything that wasn't
already broken.

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:39:52 -0500, Randall Allen wrote:

> For a couple of days Eudora claimed too many files were open.

Do you have a lot of attachment files to which numbers have been appended,
to make unique file names?

> Could not open file for writing
> Cause: No such file or directory exists (2)

One possibility:
"Could not open the file for writing.
No such file or device exists (2)"
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2643hq.html

Related:
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2507hq.html

The numeric limits were supposedly increased in a prior Eudora version,
but those were the closest matches found at tech support:
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/

Has your paid tech support expired?

Is any anti-virus program reporting activity
in your Eudora mail folder area?

Other places to search:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/search.php
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=group:comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

-[ ]-
From: Randall Allen on
Thanks Dale,

I thought about that when this first occurred. CHKDSK reported no
errors, but I'm running it again with all options. It does fit the
behavior.

From: Randall Allen on
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:33:08 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:39:52 -0500, Randall Allen wrote:
>
>> For a couple of days Eudora claimed too many files were open.
>
>Do you have a lot of attachment files to which numbers have been appended,
>to make unique file names?

No, I never approached the old limit. But, I made sure there were
none left.

>> Could not open file for writing
>> Cause: No such file or directory exists (2)
>
>One possibility:
>"Could not open the file for writing.
>No such file or device exists (2)"
>http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2643hq.html
>
>Related:
>http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2507hq.html

Checked them too.
>The numeric limits were supposedly increased in a prior Eudora version,
>but those were the closest matches found at tech support:
>http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/

I was hoping to find a limit was reached, but no luck.

>Has your paid tech support expired?

I didn't know it did! Oddly enough, the problem seems to be related
to the default account. I deleted it from the server and recreated it
with no luck.

>Is any anti-virus program reporting activity
>in your Eudora mail folder area?

No. My servers run SpamAssassin so it is rare that AVG catches
anything getting through.

>Other places to search:
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/search.php
>http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=group:comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

I'll give those a look too. Thanks for the tips.