From: C.M.G. on
Initial post:

===================
I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.

I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
well.

I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
normally in my laptop (same OS).

The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
rewritable CDs.
===================

I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing utility
the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled back
windows media player from v11 to v9.

Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

From: JD on
C.M.G. wrote:
> Initial post:
>
> ===================
> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>
> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
> well.
>
> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>
> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
> rewritable CDs.
> ===================
>
> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing utility
> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled back
> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>
> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,

Try a different cable to connect the drive.

--
JD..
From: Rick Merrill on
JD wrote:
> C.M.G. wrote:
>> Initial post:
>>
>> ===================
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently
>> tried to
>> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
>> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
>> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>> ===================
>>
>> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing
>> utility
>> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled
>> back
>> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>>
>> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
>> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
>> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Try a different cable to connect the drive.

The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

From: C.M.G. on
There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the two
optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the CD-RW read
and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the DVD+RW on the same
drive to still work (which it does)? And if different portions of the cable
are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable would I use (since there only
appears to be one)? Would it make sense to switch the "D" and "E" drive
connectors?

Thanks,

Clem.

From: Hot-text on
#1 Master
#2 CSEL
for Rom always
it will work and the Errors will go a way