From: Ann Meffert on
Hmm. This sounds like a headache. I have e-mailed tech support, but I may
run out to Staples and pick up an HP 7210 since they're on sale. I just wish
HP had individual ink tanks and didn't want a fortune for ink. That's why I
bought the Canon :-(

From: zakezuke on
> Hmm. This sounds like a headache. I have e-mailed tech support, but I may
> run out to Staples and pick up an HP 7210 since they're on sale. I just wish
> HP had individual ink tanks and didn't want a fortune for ink. That's why I
> bought the Canon

Work arounds.

Outbound fax can be done with the MSfax device, provided your machine
has a modem onboard. Paper faxing can be done from the front panel,
document faxing done from the PC over it's fax modem. Windows supports
this out of the box but the feature is often not enabled for some
reason.
-Advantage- You are not dependent on anything but a sub $20 device that
you likely already own

You can always invest in some fax software The way I see it the
pricemark of the mp780 is $250 where the HP 7210 is $300. You can
either buy a product that comes with everything you want out of the box
for $50.
For example http://www.rkssoftware.com/mightyfax/download.html
mightyfax is a very minimal fax package for those who want something a
little bit above and beyond microsoft fax support. 30 day trial, $20
price mark. Supports scan to fax. Note, i've not used the product,
only heard of it.

The fax support on the canon MP series sucks. You have every right to
be annoyed. The only reason to get one with a modem on board I can see
is for outbound paper faxing, and inbound direct to paper faxing.
Otherwise, a nice software package that handels fax is not a bad
solution at all.

From: measekite on
JUST GET THE CANON REPLACED. IT IS A FLUKE. THEY ARE GOOD.

Ann Meffert wrote:

>Hmm. This sounds like a headache. I have e-mailed tech support, but I may
>run out to Staples and pick up an HP 7210 since they're on sale. I just wish
>HP had individual ink tanks and didn't want a fortune for ink. That's why I
>bought the Canon :-(
>
>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>>Since all of you have experience with this printer, I wonder if you would
>>>tell me whether you like it or not. I purchased it, but haven't set it up
>>>yet
>>>

>><snip>
>>

>>>My HP T45 has a fax utility, fax log and fax address book, all of
>>>which I think I would miss.
>>>

>>Well, I have the mp760 which doesn't have a faxmodem at all. The mp780
>>has a fax modem but the software only support stand alone faxing at
>>least so far as I'm aware. I woudl have to scan to pdf, then print
>>from the PDF to the MS-fax device. The MP navigator doesn't permit
>>printing to any other printer except other canon printers, even
>>printing multiable prints via EZ-photoprint which doesn't support
>>anything but a canon printer, so direct scan to fax isn't supported at
>>all.
>>
>>I don't know if 3rd party software will help resolve this limitation.
>>It might be you have to have a fax modem in your PC to fax from your
>>PC, and use the mp780 for stand alone outbound faxing. At first I
>>thought this was a design feature to encourage people to buy the mp780,
>>but turns out it's just as limited in fuction as the non-faxmodem
>>editions.
>>
>>Fax wasn't my primary applicaiton so I wasn't worried about it.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Epson Smart Panel
Next: Bill Atkinson profiles