From: mirrorsedge on

Got a canoscan 8800f as a hand-me-down from my brother a few days ago.
The scanner powers on just fine, the "scanning bar" lights up like its
supposed to, and the computer-scanner interface is seamless. However,
when I press a button-any button-to scan a picture or a piece of paper
nothing happens. I've tried:

1) Shutting everything down and rebooting.
~Tried multiple times and that doesn't seem to remedy the problem
2) Reading through the user manual for ideas to address the issue
~Didn't find any ideas there to help me.

Essentially, I would be very grateful for suggestions\ideas to help
this scanner back on its feet and in working order. Thanks in advance
for the help!

From: tomcas on
mirrorsedge wrote:
> Got a canoscan 8800f as a hand-me-down from my brother a few days ago.
> The scanner powers on just fine, the "scanning bar" lights up like its
> supposed to, and the computer-scanner interface is seamless. However,
> when I press a button-any button-to scan a picture or a piece of paper
> nothing happens. I've tried:
>
> 1) Shutting everything down and rebooting.
> ~Tried multiple times and that doesn't seem to remedy the problem
> 2) Reading through the user manual for ideas to address the issue
> ~Didn't find any ideas there to help me.
>
> Essentially, I would be very grateful for suggestions\ideas to help
> this scanner back on its feet and in working order. Thanks in advance
> for the help!

Is the scanner unlocked?
Did you assign functions for the buttons in MP Navigator EX?
What happens when you initiate a scan from the software?
What happens when you initiate a scan from software such as Irfanview?
From: mirrorsedge on

Tomcas,

Problem resolved! Thanks so much!!

I checked through your questions, and here is what I found:
-The scanner was unlocked.
-The buttons had indeed been assigned certain functions.
-The third question is what helped me solve the problem. I took a real
close look at the canoscan software and compared it against the software
on their website, and I noticed that I was missing a piece of it. When I
downloaded that missing piece off their website, the scanner came to
life. I've already scanned 5 pictures in the few minutes since it's been
working. I am very satisfied with the results.

Thanks again for your help!