From: Nigel Feltham on
Barry Watzman wrote:

> A few additional notes on installing Nikon LS-30 and LS-2000 film
> scanners under Windows 7 and Windows Vista:
>
> When Nikon originally sold these scanners, they supplied Adaptec 290x
> model SCSI cards (e.g. 2902, 2903, ... 2906, etc.). THESE CARDS DON'T
> WORK WITH XP AND LATER OPERATING SYSTEMS (with the possible exception of
> the 2906 (MAYBE)).
>
> If you are attempting to use an LS-30 or an LS-2000 .... upgrade to an
> Adaptec 2940 series PCI SCSI card, but be sure to use one of the
> "narrow" cards (this is a reference to SCSI bus width, not physical
> dimensions) and not the "wide" or "ultra wide" cards ("ultra" without
> wide, e.g. "ultra narrow" ( !! ) is fine). My preferred card is the
> AHA-2940AU, but the original AHA-2940U is also fine.
>
> [Note also that you will need a new cable or an adapter; the 2940's have
> SCSI-II connectors on them (the same connector as the scanner itself),
> while the 290x cards had DB-25 connectors on the SCSI cards.]
>
> For laptop use: Many modern laptops do not have a "PC Card" (PCMCIA)
> slot, instead they have an "Express Card" slot. There is a way around
> this limitation, Newegg sells a $40 adapter from Rosewill (item #
> N82E16839200010) that allows CARDBUS (ONLY) PC Cards to be used in an
> Express Card slot. It works with the Adaptec 1480 Cardbus SCSI PC Card.
> Alternatively, you could use VueScan and a RATOC SCSI to {USB or
> Firewire} converter (2 separate converters), but neither VueScan nor the
> Ratoc converters are free, this is an expensive solution (although it
> works and converts the scanner to USB or Firewire). Note that Nikon
> Scan will not work with either of the Ratoc converters.
>
> Regarding ASPI installation: The batch file that did the installation
> under XP (but that you can't use under Windows 7) executes 3 relevant
> steps. Two of the three steps just copy files from the ASPI
> installation folder to a pair of Windows folders:
>
> COPY ASPIXP.SYS C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ASPI32.SYS
> COPY WNASPIXP.DLL C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WNASPI32.DLL
>
> This is just a straight file copy and can be done manually (via "drag
> and drop").

There is another possible option for Win7 users - it's possible that some of
the more advanced Linux based Live CD's may be able to run these scanners.
Nothing needs to be installed to try these CD's as the OS runs entirely from
the CD - and if you scan to a USB drive they won't touch your hard drive at
all (they'll still run on a machine with no hard drive fitted).

The point being if it becomes difficult to install your scanner on newer
windows versions or impossible if you have an unsupported SCSI card this
option may get you out of a hole with the minor inconvenience of booting
from a CD each time you want to do a scan and being on CD it's virtually
future proof unless the disc gets scratched (it can't get killed off with
any future MS service packs).

I know Knoppix versions of Linux usually support these Nikon scanners (have
to use native Linux scanning tools though unless you run vuescan from a
pendrive after booting the CD) :-

http://www.knoppix.net/

From: Barry Watzman on
Re: "There is another possible option for Win7 users - it's possible
that some of the more advanced Linux based Live CD's may be able to run
these scanners."

In fact one of my customers confirmed to me that he did this and that it
worked for him (not sure which Linux or scanning software he was using).
Personally, I don't consider it an acceptable solution (ok, I'm a
Windows bigot), but in fact it is an option.

From: Martin on
Barry,
first at all thanks for sharing your knowledge. I´m trying to install a coolscan III under Windows 7, but when i run the Nikon Scan the program doesn´t find the device (the scaner) I´m trying with a Tekram DC-395 U card. I want to know wich driver are you using for the coolscan III scanner.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

---
frmsrcurl: http://compgroups.net/comp.periphs.scanners/Nikon-LS-2000-and-LS-30-and-Windows-7