From: mueckenh on

Dik T. Winter schrieb:

> In article <1161435575.019298.164830(a)e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com> mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de writes:
> > Dik T. Winter schrieb:
> > >
> > > How do you *define* X(omega). As far as I know X is only defined for real
> > > numbers, and omega is not one of them. And I see no reason to exclude
> > > X(omega) = 0, = 1, = -1 at all from this reasoning.
> >
> > lim {t --> oo} X(t) = X(omega)
>
> Yes, if you define X(omega) like that your conclusion is obvious.

Not I define omega as the limit ordinal number. That is a matter of set
theory.

> But
> do you not see that you are putting the cart before the horse? You state
> (1) that lim{t -> oo} X(t) != 0 because X(omega) != 0
> (2) next you define X(omega) = lim{t -> oo} X(t)
> Even when we disregard the non-existence of that limit, this is just a
> self-fulfilling prophesy.

Not I define omega as the limit ordinal number. That is a matter of set
theory. I only use the continuity of a function which is already
required to find lim 1/n = 0.

> > > Is *that* a mathematical definition? Pray provide a real mathematical
> > > definition.
> >
> > lim {t --> omega} t = omega
>
> Oh. Provide a mathematical definition of that limit, please. In standard
> mathematics that limit is undefined.

Cantor used omega with two slightly different meanings. omega is the
set N and omega is the first infinite ordinal number, i.e., the
smallest number larger than any natural. These two definitions yield:
lim {t --> oo} t = omega
and
lim {t --> oo} {1,2,3,...,t} = omega.

> > > You think so. The irrational numbers are defined to be the limits of some
> > > particular sequences (or rather as equivalence classes of sequences). I
> >
> > Equivalence classes of sequences with same limit like
> > lim {t --> oo} a_t.
>
> Wrong.

Wrong is wrong. The limit *is* the irrational number. You can use
these and only these numbers in a Cantor list, not the equivalence
classes of sequences.

> > > (7) assume sequences of rationals. Create equivalence classes amongst
> > > those sequences (a_n ~ b_n if |a_n - b_n| goes to 0; but this is
> > > losely speaking and quite a few other methods are known, all
> > > equivalent).
> > > So, at what stage in this process is the limit of a function used to
> > > define the irrationals?
> >
> > At (7). The equivalence classes of sequences of rationals with same
> > limit.
>
> Wrong. At that point you can not talk about sequences of rationals with
> the same limit, because many of such sequences do not have a limit in the
> rationals. So (7) is formulated as I wrote it (in one of the forms to
> define the reals from the rationals). It is not the *limit* that is the
> irrational, it is the equivalence class of sequences.

The sequences belong to Q. So your irrational numbers belong to Q? That
is nonsense. In Q we have sequences with Cauchy-convergence and,
therefore, perhaps without a limit in Q. But the irrational numbers are
definitely *not* in Q.

> And (again,
> losely speaking) the equivalence classes are built in such a way that
> all members of the classe *ought* to have the same limit in the extended
> system.

Exactly. And that is the irrational number, *not* loosely speaking. You
can use this and only this number in a Cantor list, not the equivalence
class of sequences (because the due terms are not uniquely defined).

Summarizing the original question: You need the limit omega to
construct the irrational numbers.

Regards, WM

From: mueckenh on

Dik T. Winter schrieb:

> In article <virgil-E8EF11.13483421102006(a)comcast.dca.giganews.com> Virgil <virgil(a)comcast.net> writes:
> > In article <1161435318.373825.152830(a)e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> > > Therefore lim [n-->oo] {1,2,3,...,n} = N.
> >
> > Depends on how one defines lim [n-->oo] {1,2,3,...,n}. It is certainly
> > true if one takes the limit to be the union of all of them, as
> > guaranteed by the axiom of union in ZF.
>
> I would not like that as a definition. That would make:
> lim{n -> oo} {n, n + 1, n + 2, ...} = N

Obviously wrong, because 1, 2, 3, .., n-1 all belong to N

lim [n-->oo] {-1,0,1,2,3,...,n} = N

is obviuously wrong too.

Therefore lim [n-->oo] {1,2,3,...,n} = N.

> I gave sometime ago a definition of the limit of sets that is (in my
> opinion) workable, but Mueckenheim did not allow that definition. The
> reason being that under some formulations of the vase problem that
> definition would make the vase empty at noon.

So it must be wrong and needs no further attention. Why?
Because the contents of the vase increases on and on. Such a process
cannot lead to emptiness in any consistent system - independent of any
"intuition".

Regards, WM

From: Han.deBruijn on
Franziska Neugebauer schreef:

> Han de Bruijn wrote:
>
> > Franziska Neugebauer wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Where do you spot recursion?
> >
> > Two sets are equal if they have the same members.
>
> The "two sets" are one set if they have the same members. Let
> A und B refer to the "two sets". If A = B then the "two sets"
> are one set.
>
> > Two members are equal if they have the same members ... Right?
>
> Two variables x and y refer to the same member (set) if x = y. Once
> again: Where do you spot recursion?

Or rather call it a vicious circle definition. See the response to this
by Virgil.

Han de Bruijn

From: Han.deBruijn on
Virgil schreef:

> In article <b008d$453887ef$82a1e228$31075(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:
>
> > Virgil wrote:

> > > The equal sign, "=", has many meanings, which differ depending on
> > > context, so that there cannot be one Procrustian meaning that fits all
> > > contexts.
> > >
> > > For sets A and B, A = B means that for
> > > all x, x is a member of A if and only if x is a member of B.
> >
> > Good! Now given two such members x and y. What does x = y mean?
>
> In ZF it means
> "for all z, z is a member of x if and only if z is a member of y".
>
> And so on, ad infinitum.

That's precisely what I thought. You need the machinery of infinity
even for a basic thing like a = b : two things being equal.

Han de Bruijn

From: Han.deBruijn on
MoeBlee schreef:

> "built in" provision that equality be interepreted as the actual
> identity relation.

Okay. Define your "identity relation".

Han de Bruijn