From: Virgil on
In article <1161518008.776999.238550(a)k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Summarizing the original question: You need the limit omega to
> construct the irrational numbers.

Every irrational square root of a positive integer can be constructed,
in several ways, as a recurrence relation.
From: Franziska Neugebauer on
Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL wrote:

> Franziska Neugebauer schreef:
>> Han de Bruijn wrote:
[...]
>> > Two sets are equal if they have the same members.
>>
>> The "two sets" are one set if they have the same members. Let
>> A und B refer to the "two sets". If A = B then the "two sets"
>> are one set.
>>
>> > Two members are equal if they have the same members ... Right?
>>
>> Two variables x and y refer to the same member (set) if x = y. Once
>> again: Where do you spot recursion?
>
> Or rather call it a vicious circle definition.

"x = y :<-> Az(z e x <-> z e y)" is *not* a "circular". There is no
reference to "=" on the rhs.

> See the response to this by Virgil.

Message id?

F. N.
--
xyz
From: Virgil on
In article <1161518242.756958.103660(a)h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> Therefore lim [n-->oo] {1,2,3,...,n} = N.

That "limit" is undefined.

> > I gave sometime ago a definition of the limit of sets that is (in my
> > opinion) workable, but Mueckenheim did not allow that definition. The
> > reason being that under some formulations of the vase problem that
> > definition would make the vase empty at noon.
>
> So it must be wrong and needs no further attention. Why?
> Because the contents of the vase increases on and on. Such a process
> cannot lead to emptiness in any consistent system - independent of any
> "intuition".

Except that "Mueckenh", while claiming such inconsistency, has not been
able to demonstrate it to the satisfaction of anyone but himself.
From: Virgil on
In article <1161533640.504465.93700(a)k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL wrote:

> Virgil schreef:
>
> > In article <b008d$453887ef$82a1e228$31075(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
> > Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> > > Good! Now given two such members x and y. What does x = y mean?
> >
> > In ZF it means
> > "for all z, z is a member of x if and only if z is a member of y".
>
> That's precisely what I thought. You need the machinery of infinity
> even for a basic thing like a = b : two things being equal.

What "machinery of infinity" is that?

A = {} iff for all z (z e A <-> z e {}) does not require {} to have any
elements. t does not even require that any z, except {}, exist.
From: cbrown on
David Marcus wrote:
> cbrown(a)cbrownsystems.com wrote:
> > David Marcus wrote:

I should state up front that I don't actually claim that "A and not A"
is a good ontological description of entanglement; I was mostly just
tweaking HdB.

> > > Perhaps. Although, I suppose it depends on whether you think the
> > > empirical evidence really supports the theory or the people claiming it
> > > does are just confused.
> >
> > Until an experiment which distingushes between two similar but distinct
> > theories is proposed and perfomed, there's no scientific way of knowing
> > whther adherents to either theory are confused or correct.
>
> But, if one theory is vague or ill defined, then it can be hard to say
> whether an experiment really supports it.

I donlt quite get what you are implying here. I assume you have some
particular physical experiment in mind where this is the case as
regards QM. Could you elaborate?

> > > However, many
> > > physicists seem to prefer the illogical "Copenhagen" explanations of
> > > Bohr.
> >
> > I would claim that the Copenhagen interpretation is not illogical /on
> > its own terms/ - it's simply inconsistent with other interpretations
> > (including "common sense").
>
> The "terms" of the Copenhagen interpretation seem to be that anytime you
> try to ask a logical question, you are told you can't.

If I understand correctly, very loosely, Bohm sees the probablistic
results of QM as being a result of the fact that the hidden variable
regarding position, by virtue of its being inherently unmeasurable
beyond some arbitrary degree of accuracy, introduces errors in our
computations which are essentially chaotic (in the mathematical sense).
So we see results that "look" probabilistic, when in fact they are
fully determined.

In my admittedly uninformed opinion. the Copenhagen interpretation
takes probalistic results it to be evidence that, for classical
quantities such as position, it is the case that (like my hometown
Oakland, CA) "there is no there there". Our assumption that there is a
specific "element of reality" called "the object's position" is simply
a classical intuition, like the intuition that it shoudl be possible to
state unambiguously that "A and B occur simultaneously". Instead, it
posits as its "elements of reality" more complex mathematical objects
(self adjoint operators).

I understand that there are philosophical attractions to both
explanations; but I don't see why you claim that there are certain
'logical' questions which cannot be asked in the latter interpretation.

> > > I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean.
> >
> > Non-locality isn't a particularly vexing issue in a non-relativistic
> > setting, because the question of what we mean by "event A is
> > simultaneous with event B" is perfectly clear.
> >
> > In a relativistic setting "event A is simultaneous with event B" is
> > much more complicated; so when we say "non-locality implies that some
> > event A simultaneously affects event B", this is much more complicated.
> > I might be wrong, but isn't that the point of the EPR experiment?
>
> It wasn't the point Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen were trying to make.
> Their point was that if we take it for granted that nature is local,
> then the EPR experiment shows that the wave function can't be a complete
> description of nature. This is because the wave function at the two
> separated detectors is the same, so if the detectors are far enough
> apart that a measurement at one can't influence the other, then you
> can't explain the observed correlations.

I think your analysis is essentially correct. But if I understand
correctly, this relies on a particular definition of "element of
reality"; which in the Copenhagen interpretation is the probability
distribution, not some real number.

Again, it's been a while since I've looked at this stuff, but
considering the comments found at:

http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~streater/EPR.html
http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~streater/lostcauses.html#I
and
http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~streater/lostcauses.html#XI

it seems that while EPR + Bell inequalities implies there are no local
hidden variable descriptions; it doesn't imply that therefore QM need
be a non-local theory. If I read the comments above correctly, it
remains local in spite of Bell, because it identifies the "elements of
reality" as probability distributions (self adjoint operators).

Despite his obviously unsympathetic view of Bohm mechanics as a "Lost
Cause", his arguments seem appealing as at least a logical account of
EPR and Bell in the Copenhagen interpretation. I would be interested in
hearing your thoughts, particularly regarding his statements regarding
classical probability theory versus quantum probability theory (which
are frankly a bit over my head).

> I think this also explains why Einstein never embraced Bohmian
> Mechanics. It was always clear that Bohmian Mechanics was non-local.
> Einstein was looking for a local theory, so he wouldn't be interested in
> Bohmian Mechanics. This was quite reasonable on Einstein's part, since
> until John Bell came along and proved his inequality, there was no
> reason to think that you couldn't come up with a local theory that
> agreed with all the experiments. Once you realize you have to give up
> locality, then Bohmian Mechanics looks very attractive.

Again, in light of Streater's statements, I'm not convinced we have to
give up locality (and with it, causality). Whether the trade off (a
non-classical definition of what the "elements of reality" are) is
worth it is a more philosophic