From: David Marcus on
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> MoeBlee schrieb:
> > mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> > > In
> > > fact there are few modern books mentioning the difference. One is
> > > Fraenkel, Abraham A., Levy, Azriel: "Abstract Set Theory" (1976)
> > > p. 6 "the statement lim 1/n = 0 asserts nothing about infinity (as the
> > > ominous sign oo seems to suggest) but is just an abbreviation for the
> > > sentence: 1/n can be made to approach zero as closely as desired by
> > > sufficiently increasing the integer n. In contrast herewith the set of
> > > all integers is infinite (infinitely comprehensive) in a sense which is
> > > "actual" (proper) and not "potential". (It would, however, be a
> > > fundamental mistake to deem this set infinite because the integers 1,
> > > 2, 3, ..., n, ... increase infinitely, or better, indefinitely.)"
> > >
> > > and later: "Thus the conquest of actual infinity may be considered an
> > > expansion of our scientific horizon no less revolutionary than the
> > > Copernican system or than the theory of relativity, or even of quantum
> > > and nuclear physics."
> >
> > Yes, just as I said, the discussion is about the philosophy of
> > mathematics and set theory (and, I should add, about informal concerns
> > and motivations), but there is not, WITHIN the set theory discussed
> > there, a definition of 'actually infinite' and 'potentially infinite'.
>
> Does the study of formal languages really make incapable of
> understanding plain text? What is written above means: "INFINITY" IN
> SET THEORY IS ALWAYS "ACTUAL INFINITY".

Exactly. There is only one kind of infinity in modern set theory (and
modern mathematics). We no longer distinguish between "potential
infinity" and "actual infinity. These distinct notions were important
historically until the concept of infinity became better understood.

--
David Marcus
From: David Marcus on
mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> David Marcus schrieb:

> Binary Tree
> > Unfortunately, it was described in a way that I can't understand it. A
> > wild guess on my part is that you mean to set up a correspondence
> > between edges and sets of paths.
>
> I am sorry, but if you need a wild guess to understand this text, then
> we should better finish discussion. Observe just how the discussion
> runs with all those who understood it, like Han, William, jpale.

Han doesn't understand it (although he probably thinks he does). William
and jpale simply pick the mathematically meaningful statement that is
closest to what you write and go from there. I could do that too, but I
suspect that what you are actually thinking is rather far from their
guesses. I'd rather wait until you say something coherent before I
comment on it.

--
David Marcus
From: David Marcus on
Dik T. Winter wrote:

> > > It proclaims nothing of the sort. You want to read more in notation than
> > > is present.
> >
> > You want to read less than present and necessary.
> > lim{k --> oo} a_k = pi means omega reached. Or would you state that pi
> > belongs to Q like every a_k for natural k?
>
> Of course not, and of course I do not state that oo is reached. Stating
> (for the first limit above) that omega is reached is tantamount to stating
> that there is an n such that 1/n = 0. There *is* no such n. And in the
> second statement it would mean that there is a k such that a_k = pi.
> Both are nonsense.

What do you think Mueckenheim means by "omega reached"? I really have no
clue what he means. It really is remarkable how much stuff he makes up.
Obviously, he couldn't have gotten it from any math book.

--
David Marcus
From: David Marcus on
Han de Bruijn wrote:
> Ha! Mathematicians can't even define their most frequently used symbol,
> which is the equality ' = '.

Why do you say that?

--
David Marcus
From: David Marcus on
MoeBlee wrote:
> Han de Bruijn wrote:
> > > x = y :<-> Az(z e x <-> z e y)
> >
> > Of course. Because all members are sets. But I think this is an infinite
> > recursion with the equality definition. Does it end somewhere?
>
> "Infinite recursion with the equality definition". You're amazing in
> your sheer ignorance and arrogance to opine on what you are completely
> ignorant.
>
> Read chapter one of virtually any textbook in set theory.

I think Han would need to start with a book on mathematical logic.

--
David Marcus