From: Joe on
I have 3 dependent combo boxes.

CboService has TblService as RowSource with bound col = 2; col count = 2;
col width 0cm;2cm and the following code in after update...
Private Sub CboService_AfterUpdate()
On Error Resume Next
Select Case CboService.Value
Case "A"
CboRank.RowSource = "TblA"
Case "B"
CboRank.RowSource = "TblB"
Case "C"
CboRank.RowSource = "TblC"
End Select
End Sub

CboRank has bound col = 1; col count = 2; col width 0cm;2.5cm and the
following code in the after update event...
Private Sub CboRank_AfterUpdate()
On Error Resume Next
Select Case CboRank.Value
Case "B1"
CboFunction.RowSource = "TblFunction"
Case "B3"
CboFunction.RowSource = "TblFunction"
Case "B7"
CboFunction.RowSource = "TblFunction"
End Select
End Sub
CboFunction has bound col = 1; col count = 3; col width 0cm; 2.5cm; 0cm

Combos 1&2 populate without any problem however I just can't seem to be able
to get combo 3 to populate.

I would be very grateful for any help and if there is a better way to write
the above code I would appreciate the advice.

Many thanks,

Joe
--
Joe
From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
I think because none of the Cases are matching for cboRank, and since all of
the values sought are TblFunction anyway, why would you even want a Case
statement?
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: Joe on
Thanks Arvin - I think I see what you mean however I'm unsure how to achieve
the solution to my problem. Of the three services available for selection in
the first combo, one selection (B) must also have a specific role (function)
attached to some but not all of the ranks in combo2. I had hoped that this
could be achieved using cascading combo boxes.
--
Joe

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
It might be simpler than that. Have a look at my sample for listboxes, which
works the very same as a combo box:

http://accessmvp.com/Arvin/Combo.zip

From: Joe on
Thanks Arvin. After I looked at your samples I decided to try and simplify my
database amalgamating the three rank tables into one combined table with the
following structure...

TblRank
RankID Autonum PK
ServiceID FK
Rank Text

TblService
ServiceID PK
Service Text

CboService has RowSource = TblService
Bound Col = 1
Col Count = 2
Col Width = 0cm; 2cm

CboRank has a blank RowSource
Bound Col = 1
Col Count = 3
Col Width = 0cm;0cm;2.5cm

I have changed the After Update for CboService to the following Code...

Private Sub CboService_AfterUpdate()
With Me![CboRank]
If IsNull(Me!CboService) Then
.RowSource = ""
Else
.RowSource = "SELECT [Rank] " & _
"FROM tblRank " & _
"WHERE [ServiceID]= " & Me!CboService
End If
Call .Requery
End With
End Sub

The trouble is that whereas I could previously get a population of CboRank
from a selection in CboService now I get a blank list on opening CboRank.
I'm not sure where I've gone wrong but your guidance would be appreciated.
--
Joe