From: Robert Riebisch on
Andy schrieb:

> [...]

What's your problem to understand "Invalid parameter - ;"?!

Why do you think ";" is a valid character to concat multiple commands?
That's for 'bash', but not for 'cmd.exe'. Try "&&" instead.

--
Robert Riebisch
Bitte NUR in der Newsgroup antworten!
From: Pegasus (MVP) on

"Andy" <nomail(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
> > "Andy" <nomail(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> ISTR there is a way to change the line length in XP's "DOS box"
> >> (or more correctly the line command interface in XP got from
> >> running "CMD".
> >>
> >> How do I change the line length and/or get lines to wrap?
> >>

> On 24 Oct 2006, Pegasus (MVP) <I.can(a)fly.com> wrote:
> >
> > mode con lines=50 cols=100
> >

> That works well when I key it to an open command line box but it fails
> when I use it in a batch command.
> MODE CON LINES=50 COLS=100
>
> Here is the full batch file text (which has no line breaks in the
> version I am testing):

It seems you're trying to run before you can walk. Try this
for starters:

mode con lines=50 cols=100

Get rid of the semicolons. If you must concatenate commands, use
a single ampersand (not a double ampersand, as some respondent
suggests). Depending on the environment you're in, you may have
to escape it: ^&.

From: Andy on
On 25 Oct 2006, Robert Riebisch <Robert.Riebisch(a)arcor.de> wrote:

> Andy schrieb:

No, I understand "invalid parameter" perfectly well. The problem I
have is to determine why that message was made to appear and how to
code thelines such that it does not appear.

> Why do you think ";" is a valid character to concat multiple
> commands? That's for 'bash', but not for 'cmd.exe'. Try "&&"
> instead.

The semi-colon seems to work after "cmd /k" followed by a simple
command. Why is semi-colon working in that sort of arrangement?
From: Andy on

On 25 Oct 2006, Pegasus (MVP) <I.can(a)fly.com> wrote:

> It seems you're trying to run before you can walk. Try this
> for starters:
>
> mode con lines=50 cols=100
>
> Get rid of the semicolons. If you must concatenate commands, use
> a single ampersand (not a double ampersand, as some respondent
> suggests). Depending on the environment you're in, you may have
> to escape it: ^&.

When I replace the first semi-colon (after "/k") with an ampersand (or
two ampersands) then the MODE command does not work.

And conversely when I restore the semi-colon (after "/k") then the MODE
command works again.

So it seems that the semi-colon is needed there?

---

Whether I use semi-colon or ampersandafter the "/k" command, the
CONTIG.EXE command does not work with an anpersand or double ampersands.

Should I have line breaks in here somewhere now that ampersand is being
used?

Do I need to use two sets of double quotes to group the parts of the
CONTIG.EXE command together?
From: Robert Riebisch on
Andy schrieb:

> When I replace the first semi-colon (after "/k") with an ampersand (or
> two ampersands) then the MODE command does not work.

Because you didn't understand. Please read the Windows help about what
"cmd /k" does.

> And conversely when I restore the semi-colon (after "/k") then the MODE
> command works again.

It's not. It's probably just ignored by cmd.exe.

> So it seems that the semi-colon is needed there?

No.

> Whether I use semi-colon or ampersandafter the "/k" command, the
> CONTIG.EXE command does not work with an anpersand or double ampersands.

Then a write a batch file.