From: marierdj on
BTW I have a Canon A710is and I am using, without problem so far, batteries
from Duracell, Energizer and I just bough 4 batteries marketed by Optex.
The original (unpacked yet) batteries are non rechargeable alkaline with the
name of Panasonic.

From: Dave Cohen on
ray wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:28:24 -0800, tba724 wrote:
>
>> I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
>> first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
>> from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
>> batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
>> charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
>> such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
>> $44 on the web.
>>
>> Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
>> batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
>> as well with my camera?
>
> Any ol' will work fine. A nimh is a nimh. The one thing I'd look for are
> the batteries with the highest mah rating (2500 or so, at least). You
> should also be aware that the one hour chargers will probably kill the
> batteries sooner than a twelve hour charger.
>
>> I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
>> what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.
>
> I would assume so, though my source is generally Fred Meyer rather than WM.
>
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> There is also supposed to be a wave of newly designed nimh's coming on the
> market. I believe one is called 'enerloop' - as I recall the main
> improvement is supposed to be shelf life. I believe these are fairly
> expensive now.

The eneloop is normal price, $12 for a set of 4 at Ritz. I've seen
ridiculous prices for them on-line particularly when you add postage.
You can get those and a smart charger that monitors individual cells.

If self discharge isn't going to be a problem (you take a couple of
hundred pics in less than a month), then you can't beat the Walmart
package - 4 cells and a smart charger for around $17. The charger holds
4 cells and will charge 2 at a time, but does not monitor each cell. I
used one for many months until I upgraded to eneloop and a smart 4 cell
charger that monitors each cell - mainly because I wanted to be able to
charge single AAA for .mp3 player. I got that from
http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibachwilcdd.html
Dave Cohen
From: Charles Schuler on

<marierdj(a)nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> At WallMart (Canada) they sell the Energizer Auto Charger (car and house)
> with 4 AA, 2500 mAh, rechargeable NiMH batteries for $31.97.
> Also the regular charger with 4 rechargeable batteries for $21.95.
> While hunting for information I learned that the higher is the mAh the
> better it is. To my surprise AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
> are only rated at 1.25 volt. While questioning the Energizer people as to
> why only 1.25volt they replied that all rechargeable batteries are rated
> at that voltage. This rating allows the batteries to be recharged more
> times?

No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry.

From: marierdj on
"No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry."

Thanks for your clarification. Should have the time, could you elaborate on
this a little.
Battery chemistry always fascinated me.

From: Charles Schuler on

> "No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry."
>
> Thanks for your clarification. Should have the time, could you elaborate
> on this a little.
> Battery chemistry always fascinated me.

Google for electrochemistry, reduction potential and try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_electrode_potential