From: tba724 on
I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
$44 on the web.

Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
as well with my camera?

I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

From: Roy G on
<tba724(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
> first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
> from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
> batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
> charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
> such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
> $44 on the web.
>
> Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
> batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
> as well with my camera?
>
> I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
> what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use any old NiMH batteries in your Canon or any other make of
Camera.

Having said that, there are different qualities of NiMH around, and some of
the cheaper ones will not have a capacity as large as stated on the pack, so
don't just buy the cheapest. None of them will damage your camera.

Again there are chargers and good chargers, go for one which has individual
charging circuits for each battery, and perhaps a discharge function as
well.

Roy G

From: ray on
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:28:24 -0800, tba724 wrote:

> I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
> first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
> from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
> batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
> charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
> such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
> $44 on the web.
>
> Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
> batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
> as well with my camera?

Any ol' will work fine. A nimh is a nimh. The one thing I'd look for are
the batteries with the highest mah rating (2500 or so, at least). You
should also be aware that the one hour chargers will probably kill the
batteries sooner than a twelve hour charger.

> I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
> what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

I would assume so, though my source is generally Fred Meyer rather than WM.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is also supposed to be a wave of newly designed nimh's coming on the
market. I believe one is called 'enerloop' - as I recall the main
improvement is supposed to be shelf life. I believe these are fairly
expensive now.

From: Cgiorgio on
I would look for the new Sanyo Eneloop batteries - they have a significantly
lower self discharge than standard NiMH's and a good fast charger (1 hour or
30 minutes). The charger should have an individual control circuit for each
cell.

From: marierdj on
At WallMart (Canada) they sell the Energizer Auto Charger (car and house)
with 4 AA, 2500 mAh, rechargeable NiMH batteries for $31.97.
Also the regular charger with 4 rechargeable batteries for $21.95.
While hunting for information I learned that the higher is the mAh the
better it is. To my surprise AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
are only rated at 1.25 volt. While questioning the Energizer people as to
why only 1.25volt they replied that all rechargeable batteries are rated at
that voltage. This rating allows the batteries to be recharged more times?
As for the brand name, I was unable to obtain some firm information. It
appears that most are made in China, Vietnam and other countries were the
cost of labour is low. I am not sure that the brand name matter all that
much. I would reply more on the battery specifications and the availability
of the 1-800- service.