From: Mel on
Patrick Maupin wrote:
> On May 1, 3:42�am, Andrew Pichler <And...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
>> I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
>> that I could get?[ ... ]
>
> The Digilent Basys (www.digilentinc.com) has 8 switches, 4 buttons, 8
> discrete LEDs, a 4 digit LED 7 segment display, VGA, PS/2 keyboard, 4
> 6 pin connectors, and has a built-in USB programmer / data transfer
> port. $80 USD. (If the use is "academic" then only $60.)

This looks good.

Sparkfun has a couple of boards:

<http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8458>
<http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8596>

but that exhausts their range. One Spartan3 and one Altera. Digilent
seems more committed. In my own case, I followed Sparkfun and got the
Spartan3 board, but I'm so far out of luck because the only development
tools I've been able to get are Altera. When I click the download
button on the Xilinx web page, the site ignores it completely. Since
I'm really a microcontroller firmware developer who's trying to keep his
vocabulary up to date, I leave this mostly on the back burner.

Thanks to the OP for raising this question.

Mel.

From: Gabor on
On May 1, 4:42 am, Andrew Pichler <And...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
> I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
> that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
> with some LEDS would be fun.
>
> THanks for any useful links,
> Andrew

I have a couple of evaluation boards that I bought when they were
first released with the introductory pricing, generally significantly
lower than the normal price. Generally these kits are subsidized
by the chip manufacturer to get new design wins. I would keep
my eye out for new introductory offers if you can afford to wait.

Of course I don't qualify for the educational discount which
can also be considerable for some board families. Another thing
to note is that Lattice has the habit of labeling some of their
FPGA's as CPLD's to try to gain CPLD replacement design-ins.
Make no mistake about it, the MachXO is an FPGA. The larger
ones like those in the MachXO Mini Development Kit even
have block RAM and phase-locked loops.

Good luck,
Gabor
From: Petter Gustad on
Andrew Pichler <Andrew(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
> I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
> that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
> with some LEDS would be fun.

The BeMicro at $49 could fit that description:

http://www.arrownac.com/offers/altera-corporation/bemicro/

It contains an Altera Cyclone III

Petter
--
..sig removed by request.
From: Prevailing over Technology on
On May 1, 1:42 am, Andrew Pichler <And...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
> I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
> that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
> with some LEDS would be fun.
>
> THanks for any useful links,
> Andrew

For training classes, I'm a big fan of Digilent products, primarly all
Xilinx. They are relatively inexpensive and have plenty of available
add-on peripheral modules to support a variety of applications.

The BASYS II board is probably more than you need, but it's only $59
to academic customers.
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,790&Prod=BASYS2

There is also a more capable version version called NEXYS II that
sells for $99 to academic customers.
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavTop=2&NavSub=451&Prod=NEXYS2

Another option, although a bit more complicated, is the Spartan-3A Low-
Cost Evaluation Kit from Avnet/Silica. It sells for $49 and also
includes a Cypress PSoC companion chip.
http://www.silica.com/index.php?id=1193
http://www.em.avnet.com/evk/home/0,1719,RID%253D%2526CID%253D46501%2526CAT%253D0%2526CCD%253DUSA%2526SID%253D32214%2526DID%253DDF2%2526SRT%253D1%2526LID%253D32232%2526PRT%253D0%2526PVW%253D%2526PNT%253D%2526BID%253DDF2%2526CTP%253DEVK,00.html

If you swing the other way, TerASIC has some nice kits for Altera.
You can order directly from the company in Taiwan and they have some
of the kits through Digi-Key.

MAX II CPLD Micro Kit ($69)
http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=64&No=215

They also have a nice Cyclone III board for $79 for academic
customers.
http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=56&No=364

Steven K. Knapp
Prevailing Technology, Inc.