From: Andrew Pichler on
Hi

I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
with some LEDS would be fun.

THanks for any useful links,
Andrew
From: Frank Buss on
Andrew Pichler wrote:

> I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
> I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
> that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
> with some LEDS would be fun.

You can get some nice and cheap modules here:

http://www.trenz-electronic.de/products/fpga-boards/oho-elektronik.html

Or maybe this one, if you prefer Altera:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=39&No=215

A list with more boards:

http://www.fpga-faq.com/FPGA_Boards.shtml

Maybe you should ask the companies for discount for students and if you
need more than one board.

--
Frank Buss, fb(a)frank-buss.de
From: Brian Drummond on
On Sat, 01 May 2010 09:42:11 +0100, Andrew Pichler <Andrew(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
>I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
>that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
>with some LEDS would be fun.
>
>THanks for any useful links,

These ones look tailor-made for the job!

http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/polmaddie/polmaddie_family.html

My preference would be for the Spartan-3 version, or possibly the Altera
if the chip has similar capacity. Both have well-developed free
toolchains.

- Brian
From: Patrick Maupin on
On May 1, 3:42 am, Andrew Pichler <And...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
> I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
> that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
> with some LEDS would be fun.
>
> THanks for any useful links,
> Andrew

The Digilent Basys (www.digilentinc.com) has 8 switches, 4 buttons, 8
discrete LEDs, a 4 digit LED 7 segment display, VGA, PS/2 keyboard, 4
6 pin connectors, and has a built-in USB programmer / data transfer
port. $80 USD. (If the use is "academic" then only $60.)

Writing code to do the multiplexing for the 7 segment display is a fun
little project. You can also buy add-on modules (they call them
PMODs) that plug into the 6 pin connectors (4 data pins, power and
ground). They have all sorts of different PMODs. For your purposes,
the one with a little breadboard on it for $15 might be fun.

They also have a lot of other FPGA boards. At my company, we've
probably bought 30 or 40 of the Nexys and Nexys2 boards, and we use
them in the lab to control various things. The only downside I know
of is that Digilent's programming and data transfer software doesn't
support Linux. (On windows, you can use their DLL to transfer data to/
from the board.)

Regards,
Pat
From: -jg on
On May 1, 8:42 pm, Andrew Pichler <And...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wanna give some student a tutorial about FPGA programming and
> I wonder if there are any cheap FPGA evaluation kits out there
> that I could get? Needs to be nothing special, just a small board
> with some LEDS would be fun.
>
> THanks for any useful links,
> Andrew

Then there are CPLD board ?

This is sub$20
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,798&Prod=CMOD
(needs a pgmr link)

This one is more complete, and a larger device, with LCD
http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/developmentkits/ispmach4000zepicodevkit.cfm

or this
http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/developmentkits/machxominidevelopmentkit.cfm?source=sidebar

or this ?