From: David W. Fenton on
Marshall Barton <marshbarton(a)wowway.com> wrote in

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>>John W. Vinson wrote
>>
>>> If you need to allow the field three choices (yes, no, or NULL)
>>> then you'll need to use a Number field and some special code to
>>> display it as a checkbox.
>>
>>Uh, the Access checkbox control has the TripleState property to
>>allow for just such a setup -- no code required.
>
> But only if it's bound to a number field.

That's obvious, is it not? And besides, John said it already.

> A Yes/No field can not be Null.

Right. Completely clear from the context.

There is still no code required to use a number field and the
triple-state checkbox in order to store True/False/Null.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Marshall Barton on
David W. Fenton wrote:

>Marshall Barton wrote
>
>> David W. Fenton wrote:
>>
>>>John W. Vinson wrote

>>>Uh, the Access checkbox control has the TripleState property to
>>>allow for just such a setup -- no code required.
>>
>> But only if it's bound to a number field.
>
>That's obvious, is it not? And besides, John said it already.
>
>> A Yes/No field can not be Null.
>
>Right. Completely clear from the context.
>
>There is still no code required to use a number field and the
>triple-state checkbox in order to store True/False/Null.

Well, David, when you condense it down to it's essence like
that, it is perfectly clear, even to me ;-)

I guess I was still hung up on emphasizing the OP's Null
problem needing a Number type field and your point about no
code needed was not at issue.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: David W. Fenton on

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>>Marshall Barton wrote

>>> But only if it's bound to a number field.
>>
>>That's obvious, is it not? And besides, John said it already.
>>
>>> A Yes/No field can not be Null.
>>
>>Right. Completely clear from the context.
>>
>>There is still no code required to use a number field and the
>>triple-state checkbox in order to store True/False/Null.
>
> Well, David, when you condense it down to it's essence like
> that, it is perfectly clear, even to me ;-)
>
> I guess I was still hung up on emphasizing the OP's Null
> problem needing a Number type field and your point about no
> code needed was not at issue.

Well, you'll note I wasn't responding to the original poster's
problem, but to a particular sentence written by John. That's why I
quoted only that part.

No matter -- I do this all the time, i.e., reading a posting in a
different context than the post was written, even when the poster
makes very clear what is being addressed (as I think I did).

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: John W. Vinson on
On 30 Jan 2010 17:05:47 GMT, "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:

>> If you need to allow the field three choices (yes, no, or NULL)
>> then you'll need to use a Number field and some special code to
>> display it as a checkbox.
>
>Uh, the Access checkbox control has the TripleState property to
>allow for just such a setup -- no code required.

Quite correct. Sorry for the error on my part.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com on
Ok. Thanks for all your replies. Now to get back to the problem at hand.
First I want to say that I messed up. It is NOT a yes/no field. It is a text
field that needs to change [Super1]. The yes/no field [SupMan]is a check box
to basically say that if it is checked then this person is a supervisor. If
it is not checked then the person is not a supervisor and then supposed to
find all employees that has the supervisor id and change them to Null or make
it empty. And It still does not work. It leaves the information in the
[Super1] field.

I modified the code a little bit to make sure that the [supman] is false.

20 If SupMan = False Then
txtAssist1 = StaffId
60 Set dtm = CurrentProject.AccessConnection
sql6 = "Update tblMain set super1 = Null where super1 =""" &
txtAssist1 & """ And Not (tblMain.SupMan) = true"

'70 sql6 = "Update tblMain set super1 = False where super1 =" &
txtAssist
80 dtm.Execute sql6, adCmdText + adExecuteNoRecords
90 Set dtm = Nothing

100 End If

Thanks for all your input.