From: Roger Lawton on
I am attempting to display (and eventually enter) simplified chinese
characters into a VO (2.8) MLE. I am using Window Vista Ultimate, SQL
Server (2005) as a database and regular VO Datawindows for input/display. I
added a MLE to a window and selected the SimSun font for the MLE. When I
paste the chinese characters into the MLE they display correctly. However,
when I save them to the database (using VO2ADO) they change to ??. So I
tried another tactic and pasted the chinese characters directly into the db
column using SQL Server Management Studio. They are saved just fine in the
management studio but when I display them using the VO MLE they display as
??. Do you have any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks for any help.

--
Roger Lawton
Product Manager

From: Carlos Rocha on
Hi Roger,

I would try AdoVoStr2Unicode(oMLE:Text) ...for a start.

--
Carlos Rocha
From: Carlos Rocha on
Roger,

I just made an ActiveX in VB6 with 3 controls: EditText, EditTextML, and
Label. VB6 works with Unicode strings, so maybe this can solve your problem.
I didn't test them, but if you want to try please give me some feedback,
as it's possible to make a few more controls with unicode support. Just
register the OCX, generate the VO OLE Classes, and add them to the VO
Window Editor Palette.

http://www.doossier.com/vo/Unicode.ocx

Hope this help

--
Carlos Rocha
From: Arne Ortlinghaus on
I added Unicode support to a program to be able to display also Chinese
characters correctly. It is possible to use the Unicode functions for
RichEdit controls, third party controls like Textcontrol from subsystems and
make browser enhancements for displaying Unicode. But it was really much
work which can be avoided starting with Vulcan.

Arne Ortlinghaus
ACS Data Systems

From: Roger Lawton on
Carlos:

I got some pointers from Robert van der Hulst about what VO2Ado does
internally with the code pages (your earlier suggestion about the
AdoVoStr2Unicode) function was right on target. Anyway, Robert suggested
that I have to change the system locale to chinese and then VO2Ado will use
that code page to translate the data read from the server. So far this is
working for me. I can display stored (SQL Server 2005 database) values
using a VO MLE. Next I will be trying to save chines values.

I tried so many things that I am not currently sure what actually caused it
to work but the following is an attempt at a step by step process:

1) Data storage in SQL Server 2005 as unicode string (Nchar, Nvarchar, etc)
2) Add the Chinese(Simplified) Language in Control Panel / Clock, Language,
and Region / Install/Uninstall display languages
3) Change the system locale (not location) to Chines(Simplified) - Reboot
4) In the VO window use the chinese font (I use the NSimSum but I don't know
if others will work or not)
5) Voila - chinese characters are displayed.

HTH

Roger Lawton
Product Manager
SOMAX, Inc.