From: Metre Meter on
While I've been supporting a Classic ASP app for a while, and have
also written some separate ASP.Net apps, my understanding is vague on
some larger issues

- What are the issues with mixing languages in Classic ASP? For
example, declaring variables, functions etc. in one language and
accessing/calling them in another?

- Where is the line between "native" language features (e.g. in
JScript), and those features which are part of .Net (or whatever),
common to all .Net languages? Or put another way, how are the .Net
facilities "mapped" onto a particular language?

- What environment does Classic ASP operate within (i.e. analogous to
ASP.Net programs operating under CLR)?

- What support to I have for the "native" Windows features under
ASP.Net? Is everything done through the CLR? Do I have more direct
access to Windows' native features under Classic ASP, or does that
restrict me in a different way? Is there anything in that vein that I
can do in Classic ASP that I can't do in ASP.Net?

- Do any languages (particularly JScript) have issues accessing the
full features of the Classic ASP or ASP.Net environment?
(I had a problem with JScript and collections once, but I was able
to work my way around it)

- Which is the best way to stucture my programs made up of multiple
files?
- Via #includes or via <script> tags? The latter sounds better,
but how do I include a jscript file within a jscript fileif there are
dependencies
- Should I really be developing ASP.Net "by hand" or using Visual
Studio anyway?

- What "type" of object does Server.CreateObject in Classic ASP
create?

I apologise if these questions seem somewhat vague, or if there are a
lot of them. As they're somewhat interconnected, please feel free to
answer them by pointing me towards any online resources. Any help is
appreciated- thank you!
From: Bob Barrows on
Metre Meter wrote:
> While I've been supporting a Classic ASP app for a while, and have
> also written some separate ASP.Net apps, my understanding is vague on
> some larger issues

I'll start by suggesting you might benefit from reading the classic ASP
documentation: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms524664

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/does-order-matter-when-using-different-languages-in-asp.html

> - Where is the line between "native" language features (e.g. in
> JScript), and those features which are part of .Net (or whatever),
> common to all .Net languages? Or put another way, how are the .Net
> facilities "mapped" onto a particular language?

better asked in a dotnet group (this is a classic asp group)

www.asp.net

> - What environment does Classic ASP operate within (i.e. analogous to
> ASP.Net programs operating under CLR)?

Not sure I understand the question. ASP is run by an IIS server using
asp.dll

> - What support to I have for the "native" Windows features under
> ASP.Net? Is everything done through the CLR?

again, better asked in a dotnet group

> Do I have more direct
> access to Windows' native features under Classic ASP, or does that
> restrict me in a different way? Is there anything in that vein that I
> can do in Classic ASP that I can't do in ASP.Net?

Are you talking about access to the windows api? Don't even think about
it with script languages, which is all that classic ASP supports.

> - Do any languages (particularly JScript) have issues accessing the
> full features of the Classic ASP or ASP.Net environment?

I won't answer for .Net, but for classic ASP the answer is no
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2176

> (I had a problem with JScript and collections once, but I was able
> to work my way around it)

doesn't seem to be a question

> - Which is the best way to stucture my programs made up of multiple
> files?
> - Via #includes or via <script> tags?

For server-side code, I typically use server-side includes (#includes).

> The latter sounds better,
> but how do I include a jscript file within a jscript fileif there are
> dependencies

??? just do it?
Are you talking about client-side or server-side code?

> - Should I really be developing ASP.Net "by hand" or using Visual
> Studio anyway?
better asked in a dotnet group

> - What "type" of object does Server.CreateObject in Classic ASP
> create?

Whatever type is provided by the type library being referenced ...

set rs=createobject("adodb.recordset") causes the creation of an ADO
recordset object and returns a reference to it to the rs variable.

The "Server." part is not really necessary anymore. It used to be
recommended in earlier versions of IIS but is merely overhead now. Use
vbscript's CreateObject method instead.
--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Tim Slattery on
Metre Meter <metremeter(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>- What are the issues with mixing languages in Classic ASP? For
>example, declaring variables, functions etc. in one language and
>accessing/calling them in another?

As far as I know, different languages live in different spaces. If
your ASP code contains blocks of VBScript and of server-side
JavaScript, the variables from VBScript will not be available to the
Javascript code. I don't think mixing languages like that is a good
idea anyway.

>- Where is the line between "native" language features (e.g. in
>JScript), and those features which are part of .Net (or whatever),
>common to all .Net languages? Or put another way, how are the .Net
>facilities "mapped" onto a particular language?

Can't help with .Net questions.

>- What environment does Classic ASP operate within (i.e. analogous to
>ASP.Net programs operating under CLR)?

Classic ASP is implemented by a filter that runs under IIS.

>- Do any languages (particularly JScript) have issues accessing the
>full features of the Classic ASP or ASP.Net environment?

For classic: I think JavaScript can do anything that VBScript can do.
For .Net: no clue

>- What "type" of object does Server.CreateObject in Classic ASP
>create?

An ActiveX component. It's implemented as a DLL, which must be
registered on the server. I've written such things in both VB and C++.
No doubt it can be done in other languages as well.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov
From: Bob Barrows on
Tim Slattery wrote:
> Metre Meter <metremeter(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> - What are the issues with mixing languages in Classic ASP? For
>> example, declaring variables, functions etc. in one language and
>> accessing/calling them in another?
>
> As far as I know, different languages live in different spaces. If
> your ASP code contains blocks of VBScript and of server-side
> JavaScript, the variables from VBScript will not be available to the
> Javascript code. I don't think mixing languages like that is a good
> idea anyway.

You can call vbscript functions from a jscript block and vice versa:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260861(VS.60).aspx

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Evertjan. on
Bob Barrows wrote on 06 jan 2010 in

> Tim Slattery wrote:
>> Metre Meter <metremeter(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> - What are the issues with mixing languages in Classic ASP? For
>>> example, declaring variables, functions etc. in one language and
>>> accessing/calling them in another?
>>
>> As far as I know, different languages live in different spaces. If
>> your ASP code contains blocks of VBScript and of server-side
>> JavaScript, the variables from VBScript will not be available to the
>> Javascript code. I don't think mixing languages like that is a good
>> idea anyway.
>>

> You can call vbscript functions from a jscript block and vice versa:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260861(VS.60).aspx

functions and also variables are available to both:

==================

<% = a %>
<% = b() %>

<script language ='javascript' runat='server'>
var a = 'Blah';

function b() {
return 'Blip';
};