From: Timothy Lange on
I would try moderate air, probably from a can, and work my way up the
pressure settings until the obstructions are gone. Would also minimize
disassembly.

Tim.
From: Don Phillipson on

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote in message

> The list of things that can go wrong is quite lengthy. Some parts of a
> scanner may be precision aligned at the factory on an optical test jig;
> and when you "just take it apart" ... that alignment is lost (on a Nikon
> LS-2000, there are 4 screws that, if removed or even just loosened, will
> usually destroy the scanner). You have no idea how many people do not
> know how to work the ZIF connectors on "Flex Cables" (those thin, flat
> ribbon cables used in a lot of equipment). Also, on some scanners there
> are a LOT of "flex cables" and they tear VERY easily, they cannot be
> repaired, and in some cases replacements are either difficult to get or
> not available at all. I could go on, but the answer to "what can go
> wrong" is: LOTS OF THINGS. MOST untrained people who take these things
> apart without instructions do damage to them.

Thanks for practical advice: plan now is:
1. Vacuum slide scanner from outside (and operate and store it in as
dust-free a location as I can manage.)
2. Continue scanning slides (from the 1960s, many unseen for
decades, half badly faded)
3. Test Photoshop on a couple of well-chosen samples,
including those with dust/spider marks.
4. If this cleanup remains unsatisfactory, then I shall take off
the cover to assess interior components.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Barry Watzman on
The best way to clean is with compressed air, not a vacuum. There is
very little risk in removing covers. Once you get inside, you have to
be more cautious.

From: DevilsPGD on
In message <hamle7$e00$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>The list of things that can go wrong is quite lengthy.
<snipped list>

Resulting in... A broken/useless scanner.

Since the scanner is starting out useless, what's the harm?