From: Guillaume Dargaud on
Hello all,
I've been using VueScan for a decade on several generations of slide
scanners and several generations of operating systems, but I'm thinking of
getting a flatbed scanner with a transparency back in order to scan some
very old large format transparents (glass, 6x9, etc).

Does VueScan also work with all/most flatbeds ? Are there brands to avoid /
recommend ? Note that I'm on Linux, if that makes a difference.
Thanks.
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/

From: Silicon Sam on
On Oct 1, 4:58 am, "Guillaume Dargaud"
<use_the_form_on_my_contact_p...(a)www.gdargaud.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've been using VueScan for a decade on several generations of slide
> scanners and several generations of operating systems, but I'm thinking of
> getting a flatbed scanner with a transparency back in order to scan some
> very old large format transparents (glass, 6x9, etc).
>
> Does VueScan also work with all/most flatbeds ? Are there brands to avoid /
> recommend ? Note that I'm on Linux, if that makes a difference.
> Thanks.
> --
> Guillaume Dargaudhttp://www.gdargaud.net/

If you've been using that long, you should know they have a list of
supported scanners on their site. I've used it since 20012, and right
now I have an Epson V500 that I use for flatbed stuff. I use a Nikon
V ED for slides.
From: Joe on
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:58:42 +0200, "Guillaume Dargaud"
<use_the_form_on_my_contact_page(a)www.gdargaud.net> wrote:

>Hello all,
>I've been using VueScan for a decade on several generations of slide
>scanners and several generations of operating systems, but I'm thinking of
>getting a flatbed scanner with a transparency back in order to scan some
>very old large format transparents (glass, 6x9, etc).
>
>Does VueScan also work with all/most flatbeds ? Are there brands to avoid /
>recommend ? Note that I'm on Linux, if that makes a difference.
>Thanks.

I use a Fujitsu fi-5220c and it is (sadly) not supported.
From: jeff.underwood on
On Oct 1, 9:58 am, "Guillaume Dargaud"
<use_the_form_on_my_contact_p...(a)www.gdargaud.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've been using VueScan for a decade on several generations of slide
> scanners and several generations of operating systems, but I'm thinking of
> getting a flatbed scanner with a transparency back in order to scan some
> very old large format transparents (glass, 6x9, etc).
>
> Does VueScan also work with all/most flatbeds ? Are there brands to avoid /
> recommend ? Note that I'm on Linux, if that makes a difference.
> Thanks.
> --
> Guillaume Dargaudhttp://www.gdargaud.net/

I can recommend Epson's 4990 Photo scanner for slide scanning,
particularly larger formats. This unit has Digital ICE which I find
essential for old originals that are usually scratched and dusty.

It is supported by Vuescan although for preference I use ours with
SilverFast.

Jeff Underwood
www.1Scan.co.uk
From: Robert Peirce on
In article <ha1unh$ncm$1(a)ccpntc8.in2p3.fr>,
wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've been using VueScan for a decade on several generations of slide
> scanners and several generations of operating systems, but I'm thinking of
> getting a flatbed scanner with a transparency back in order to scan some
> very old large format transparents (glass, 6x9, etc).
>
> Does VueScan also work with all/most flatbeds ? Are there brands to avoid /
> recommend ? Note that I'm on Linux, if that makes a difference.
> Thanks.

I have an Epson 2450 that I used to scan 4x5 negatives. I was very
happy with the results. Newer scanners ought to be better.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]