From: Guillaume Dargaud on
> If you've been using that long, you should know they have a list of
> supported scanners on their site. I've used it since 20012, and right
> now I have an Epson V500 that I use for flatbed stuff. I use a Nikon
> V ED for slides.

Well, I was also thinking of the V500, but then I saw that ICE doesn't
(didn't?) seem to work on Linux:
Anybody can confirm ?

Any other recommendation for transparent flatbed with ICE under
Linux/VueScan ?
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/

From: Barry Watzman on
Digital ICE should be independent of the OS.

From: Silicon Sam on
On Oct 2, 6:58 pm, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Digital ICE should be independent of the OS.
>

> Guillaume Dargaud wrote:
> >>   If you've been using that long, you should know they have a list of
> >> supported scanners on their site.  I've used it since 20012, and right
> >> now I have an Epson V500 that I use for flatbed stuff.  I use a Nikon
> >> V ED for slides.
>
> > Well, I was also thinking of the V500, but then I saw that ICE doesn't
> > (didn't?) seem to work on Linux:
> >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=650674
> > Anybody can confirm ?
>
> > Any other recommendation for transparent flatbed with ICE under
> > Linux/VueScan ?

Right, the way I understand it, the ICE is in the firmware code of
the scanner itself.... And ICE was developed here in Austin!
From: Nigel Feltham on
Silicon Sam wrote:

> On Oct 2, 6:58�pm, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
>> Digital ICE should be independent of the OS.

>> > Well, I was also thinking of the V500, but then I saw that ICE doesn't
>> > (didn't?) seem to work on Linux:
>> >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=650674
>> > Anybody can confirm ?
>>
>> > Any other recommendation for transparent flatbed with ICE under
>> > Linux/VueScan ?
>
> Right, the way I understand it, the ICE is in the firmware code of
> the scanner itself.... And ICE was developed here in Austin!

Not quite - the firmware of the scanner is coded to return 4 colour channels
(the normal RGB plus infrared) to the driver instead of the usual 3. It's
either the driver or the application (depending on OS) that does the actual
image correction based on the 4th colour channel.

The film (apart from Black&white or Kodachrome) is transparent to infrared
light but dust and scratches aren't so the extra colour channel is used as
a map of where dirt and scratches are and the software on the PC uses
interpolation to correct the damaged areas.

Generally only the manufacturer supplied drivers will support Digital ICE -
alternative drivers such as Vuescan use an independently written equivalent
which may produce better or worse results depending on scanner (Better with
my old Nikon LS-2000 as the original driver doesn't support the extra
tweaks applied to newer versions of ICE to handle kodachromes which are
handled fine with Vuescan).