From: TomYoung on
Hi all:

My wife incurs billable expenses teaching science as an independent
contractor. As she incurs the expense I enter the amount in a
receivable account. She typically accumulates these expenses for
several months at a time before actually preparing a bill for them.
When she prepares her bill, which she does independent of my
accounting, I'll go through and match her listing to mine, recording
each line item in the receivable account as "cleared" ("c" in the Clr
column of the register) as a check that she's got them all and to pick
up any small charges - typically paid in cash - that didn't get
entered.

Today, undertaking this exercise for the first time using QD2010, I
ran into a snag that I don't remember ever hitting before with
previous versions of Quicken.

Attempting to clear a line item in the receivable register that
resulted from a split transaction (credit card purchase at supermarket
that was a mixture of groceries and reimbursable expenses) an error
message popped up reading "This transaction was created as a transfer
from a split transaction. In order to change it, you must go to the
source transaction by using 'Go to matching transfer' from the edit
button."

Of course, when I do that I'm simply presented with the Split
Transaction screen in the credit card account used. I don't want to
change the amount in the original transaction and the credit card
transaction itself has long since been reconciled. So now, it appears
I'm stuck. It seems like the only way out is to change the original
credit card charge into 2 separate charges in order to avoid the
"split" aspect, but that means there would be 2 transactions in the
credit card account account that wouldn't match the original credit
card statement, something I'm loath to do.

Any other work-arounds?

TIA.

Tom Young
From: CSM1 on
TomYoung <sombodee(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:2093f1f0-f142-47d4-85fc-
166a9648fa4b(a)a6g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

> Hi all:
>
> My wife incurs billable expenses teaching science as an independent
> contractor. As she incurs the expense I enter the amount in a
> receivable account. She typically accumulates these expenses for
> several months at a time before actually preparing a bill for them.
> When she prepares her bill, which she does independent of my
> accounting, I'll go through and match her listing to mine, recording
> each line item in the receivable account as "cleared" ("c" in the Clr
> column of the register) as a check that she's got them all and to pick
> up any small charges - typically paid in cash - that didn't get
> entered.
>
> Today, undertaking this exercise for the first time using QD2010, I
> ran into a snag that I don't remember ever hitting before with
> previous versions of Quicken.
>
> Attempting to clear a line item in the receivable register that
> resulted from a split transaction (credit card purchase at supermarket
> that was a mixture of groceries and reimbursable expenses) an error
> message popped up reading "This transaction was created as a transfer
> from a split transaction. In order to change it, you must go to the
> source transaction by using 'Go to matching transfer' from the edit
> button."
>
> Of course, when I do that I'm simply presented with the Split
> Transaction screen in the credit card account used. I don't want to
> change the amount in the original transaction and the credit card
> transaction itself has long since been reconciled. So now, it appears
> I'm stuck. It seems like the only way out is to change the original
> credit card charge into 2 separate charges in order to avoid the
> "split" aspect, but that means there would be 2 transactions in the
> credit card account account that wouldn't match the original credit
> card statement, something I'm loath to do.
>
> Any other work-arounds?
>

> TIA.
>
> Tom Young

I believe that you can edit the original credit card transaction, if not
already done, make splits in the amounts needed to make the original
transaction the same amount.

Once Quicken is satisfied and the amounts are correct, you can reset the
CC transation to Reconciled. You double click the Clr column and answer
NO each time the Reconcile message come up, it cycles clr (nothing in
column), C, R. Then click Enter.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com