From: Robert Neville on
Spent a little time reviewing some changes to my primary bank's web site (a
major national financial institution). After a few minutes looking at their new
"Money Manager" features, I realized I was looking at a branded version of Mint.
While there is no mention of Intuit or Mint, all the Mint features (transaction
classification, links to other bank accounts) were all there.

From this I deduce that Intuit will follow a similar strategy for Mint as they
did with Quicken: Pitch Mint as the retail product unaffiliated with any
specific financial institution to consumers and pitch a customized version to
banks as a means of holding on to their customers.

This has two benefits for Intuit: it continues their three revenue stream
strategy (consumer referal fees, bank licensing fees, embedded advertising) and
it gives them a way to interface with financial institution account data beyond
screen scraping.
From: jslcr1 on
On Jun 27, 11:31 am, Robert Neville <d...(a)bother.com> wrote:
> Spent a little time reviewing some changes to my primary bank's web site (a
> major national financial institution). After a few minutes looking at their new
> "Money Manager" features, I realized I was looking at a branded version of Mint.
> While there is no mention of Intuit or Mint, all the Mint features (transaction
> classification, links to other bank accounts) were all there.
>
> From this I deduce that Intuit will follow a similar strategy for Mint as they
> did with Quicken: Pitch Mint as the retail product unaffiliated with any
> specific financial institution to consumers and pitch a customized version to
> banks as a means of holding on to their customers.
>
> This has two benefits for Intuit: it continues their three revenue stream
> strategy (consumer referal fees, bank licensing fees, embedded advertising) and
> it gives them a way to interface with financial institution account data beyond
> screen scraping.

Which bank?

Why would anyone want to use a program that is Cloud based.
I for one do not trust leaving my info on someones server.
Look at what happened a couple of weeks ago with Intuit.
All of their sites went down.
Look at Microsoft and and of the patches that they have to come up
with on a monthly basis.

It is bad enough people are using an online back service and then can
not get any support.
From: Robert Neville on
jslcr1 <jsl1305(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Which bank?

USAA

>Why would anyone want to use a program that is Cloud based.
>I for one do not trust leaving my info on someones server.

I think you need to draw a difference between server based and cloud based. All
your financial info is already on your bank's server. When you sign up as a Mint
retail customer, they are scraping all your account info into a server they
control.

Not really a classic definition of cloud based computing in the sense that the
data and processing resides on a system controlled by Amazon Web Services and
the like.

>It is bad enough people are using an online back service and then can
>not get any support.

That's an issue with your bank, not Intuit.
From: Marty on

On 6/27/2010 2:40 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
> jslcr1<jsl1305(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Which bank?
>
> USAA
>
>> Why would anyone want to use a program that is Cloud based.
>> I for one do not trust leaving my info on someones server.
>
> I think you need to draw a difference between server based and cloud based. All
> your financial info is already on your bank's server. When you sign up as a Mint
> retail customer, they are scraping all your account info into a server they
> control.
In my case not true. All of my financial info is not on the banks server.
Bank: yes, Vanguard: no, AMEX:no, Credit union credit card: no.

Quicken allows me to track all of my financial info from all of my FIs
in one place, my computer.
That is what I like about Quicken.

Marty

From: Robert Neville on
Marty <mrmarty(a)attglobal.net> wrote:

>Quicken allows me to track all of my financial info from all of my FIs
>in one place, my computer.
>That is what I like about Quicken.

Same here. Unfortunately, we and the others who use Quicken seem to be in the
minority...